Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendeldame

Planting Wormwood

lavendeldame
14 years ago

We've always planted wormwood as a border plant around our asparagus and carrot beds to keep the pests away. Last year the animals attacked my asparagus daily (rabbits?). We thought we would team up the asparagus/wormwood in the same bed this year, but I can't seem to find any information on whether you can or cannot plant them side by side. I know that they are good companion plants, but can the wormwood's toxic oils seep into our asparagus through the roots? Thank You, Sally

Comments (8)

• lavendeldame
    Original Author
    14 years ago

btw, I've always planted the wormwood in it's own container before. thanks

• witchsbrew
    14 years ago

I love my wormwood, but it travels faster than mint. I would keep it out of your asparagus patch. Try dill and borage.
    Lisa

• novice_2009
    13 years ago

Would the "toxic oils" of the wormwood plants be harmful to perrenials, not food plants?

• houseplantlover86
    13 years ago

I am wondering the same. I know about wormwood because of it's use in the drink absinthe, of which I have tried several varieties. Most people still aren't aware that absinthe is now entirely legal in the US! It's also a myth that absinthe is toxic, causes seizures, tremors, or hallucinations. It doesn't. Drank in large amounts, you can get very, very drunk but that's about all.

The consumption of large quantities of the herb wormwood, however, should only be done under the supervision of a doctor or experienced herbalist. Thought I'd throw that in to the mix...

I know of a variety called "Silver Mound" that I would love to plant in my front beds, in a bare spot I have between two bushes. But I am confused about the plant's chemical output once it has been planted near other established plants - does it harm others nearby,(including flowers) or groundcovers like hens and chicks??

I have read that wormwood will kill weeds (which would be great since I have a vining weed that kills my other plants!), but I also read wormwood must be planted alone, or else it kills ANYTHING else nearby! Please help me learn what's what with this plant!

• PamCinMO
    12 years ago

Just my experience. I had silver mound planted in a garden that included a spreading, low growing juniper.

Weeds and grass would grow through the silver mound, strangely the silver mound prohibited the juniper to grow outward into the space where the silver mound was planted.

The juniper had grown around the silver mound or the silver mound grew into the juniper. Either way the juniper looked as if it had a large bite taken out it. I removed the silver mound and did a hard trim on the juniper. It is almost two years later and the juniper is still working on filling in that space. It will take a couple more years for the juniper to complete the filling in process.

From my experience. I would not plant silver mound with junipers specifically.

• Wild Haired Mavens
    8 years ago

I grow silver mound with carrots and asparagus. The caterpillarseeds prefer the wormwood to the carrots.

• Kylee White
    8 years ago

I read its fine to grow with sage ( I think it was the Yates veggie /planting best companion guide I remember when I looked it up there was only one buddy that was sage or maybe one more but also I planted mine in a plastic planter and placed it alone just just didn't want to wreck my vertical garden

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH