Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Close Do Companions Need to Be?

Posted by mprevost 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 14:09

I've been reading about companion planting. It makes sense and I plan to try it.

I'm more concerned about the bad companions. They say beans and onions don't like each other, but beans and carrots do (as well as carrots and onions). I plan on planting a row pole beans (along a fence line for support), with a row of carrots beneath them. If I planted onions on the other side of the carrots (so the carrots are between the beans and onions) would that put the beans and onions far enough apart? The beans and onions would be a foot or two apart with carrots in between.

--------------------------- Fence
B B B B B B B B B B B B B B Beans
C C C C C C C C C C C C C C Carrots
O O O O O O O O O O O O O O Onions

Also, how close do good companion plants (like tomato and basil) need to be to gain benefits from each other? Does the magic happen underground (root level, stuff exuded into soil) or it is only related to the fragrance of the plants?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Close Do Companions Need to Be?

I use tomatoes, basil, and parsely as companions with huge success. I usually plant a tomato plant then plant the basil and parsely on each side a little in front of them about 6-8 inches so they are not shaded to much by the tomatoes when they get big. Then I put marigold, nasturtium, and zinnia behind them 8-10 inches. I had the biggest crop of tomatoes using this method in the 5 years I have been gardening this space. And I had no horn worms or any other bug for that matter.

Marigold Nasturtium zinnia Marigold nasturtium zinnia
Tomato Tomato Tomato Tomato Tomato
Basil Parsely Basil Parsely Basil Parsely

Hope this helps. Good luck

o

Very cool. I put basil, chamomile, bush beans and habenero peppers next to my tomatoes.

bb bb bb bb bb
H C T B T B T C
bb bb bb bb bb

bb = bush bean
H = habenero
C = chamomile
T = tomato

I was thinking that the beans may help feed the tomatoes since they fix nitrogen. I have onions and carrots everywhere (except real close to beans). Some may get shaded out (by okra plants or maybe by nearby carrots), but I'll learn.

A couple of weeks ago a hail storm turned by garden into tossed salad, but it's recovering. Just not as pretty as it used to be. I was depressed about it for a week. It's the only hail storm I've ever witnessed and it had to happen to my first garden. I must have done something really bad. Oh well.

o

I'm so sorry about the hail storm. I would be devistated myself. Chamomile is the best companion plant I have found. I use chamomile tea to water my seedlings and they are the best I have ever grown. Chamomile tea is suppossed to help ailing plants. maybe it will help your hail bombed plants.

o

I have a big feverfew plant that is in the chamomile family. Has anyone ever used that for a tomato companion?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here