Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Three Sisters Planting

Posted by windrider1967 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 19:28

This will be my first REAL garden this year and I am planning on doing my zukes, pole beans, and corn in the three sisters tradition. For anyone who has planted this way in the past - do you plan out the 4-5' spacing for the zukes and then plant the corn and beans at 1 ft spacing within that area? I would think that the vines would spread enough to provide groundcover in the area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Three Sisters Planting

I used this article to guide my planting. This year is my first attempt at 3 sisters, and I planted late. But I found it interesting the different patterns that are used to account for different environmental factors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Companion Planting

o

I, too am planning on going the three sisters route but one thing bothers me. I am told the three sisters will not perform the first year as well as in subsequent years since the nitrogen left by the beans will not be available to the corn until next year. But here is my dilemma: I am constantly being admonished (in various publications and websites) not to plant the same crops in the same places every year. Most also say to rotate crops every year. How can I do both?

o

The first couple of years should be fine. After you start seeing difficult to control diseases, you should move on to differing families of crops. The biggest thing is to start with a very loamy fertile soil. You'll need plenty of corn to get full ears.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here