Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perrenials with barberry and plum

Posted by mizfitz 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 20:35

I have recently purchased a new home in Denver and I would like to plant some flowering perennials to go with the Crimson Pigmy Barberry and Purple Leaf Plum shrubs that are currently planted. The yard faces east and recieves full sun in the morning, but missed the intense afternoon light. I am a beginning gardener and would like plants that are low-maintainance and can handle semi-drought conditions. I am open to a variety of color schemes, but I do have a brick house and planting border and would like collections that will look good with the red. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perrenials with barberry and plum

I don't know exactly what's available in Denver, but I had that barberry in a bed with grasses (get one that turns reddish or coppery in the fall) and several sedums, including the autumn-blooming sedums. I also had liatris in for summer bloom. They all got about 1/2 day of sun (AM) so I'm thinking they would work for you, too. It was stunning and very low maintenance (just be sure to pick a grass that doesn't spread, just clumps).

o
RE: Perrenials with barberry and plum

• Posted by dlhl z6 TN (My Page) on
    Wed, May 9, 07 at 10:08

About 3 years ago, I planted three barberry bushes on the east end of my house. I planted an evergreen holly bush on either side (one on each end of the bed). Then I planted clumps of verigated monkey grass along the front of the bed. This is a very low maintenance bed too. I hardly have to do anything to it and have never had to do the first thing to the barberry bushes. I have had sooooo many compliments on that bed. I am very proud of it. It's right beside my driveway so everyone sees it. The colors go so well together. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here