Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion Plantings for Tomatillos??

Posted by green_devo 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 20:36

I've found dozens of list of companions plants for the usual vegetables, but does anyone out there know of companion plants for tomatillos? They aren't of the tomato family, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be great!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion Plantings for Tomatillos??

Hi- not sure if you still need help. I am growing tomatillos this year as well and haven't been able to find much out besides this: http://www.oracletown.com/garden/tips_tomato.html

At about 2/3 down page it talks about tomatillos, and basically says to grow them the same way as they list for tomatoes (except to use slightly less water). So, I am assuming they are saying to use the same recommendations on companion plants, as well. Hope this helps!

o

Hi - I've been growing tomatillos for 10 years, and yes, they do grow similar to tomatoes, but beware - unless you're planning to process them on a commercial scale (which I have done), a couple of plants will do you. THEY ARE PROLIFIC! They like lots of manure and/or compost and I generally cage them. Bees LOVE them! and you can make jam with them that tastes like clover honey! (at least that's been my personal experience with them) Have fun with your garden!

o

i can't find any companions for it either, but this WAS interesting . . .

'Tomatillos are almost completely self-incompatible and require at least two plants to normally produce fruit.'

Here is a link that might be useful: tomatillo

o

thanks for the link! and yes! we're definitely growing them again this year. we only need 2 plants for our family of 5! and i still have enough to share with all the neighbors.

o

thats funny, i only grew one year ago, and had fruit. wonder if they intermingled with the tomatoes?

planning on anaheims and tomatillos this year to make salsa verde...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here