Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planning My Sister's Veggie And Herb Garden

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 0:20

Hi everyone,

I will be helping my sister plant a garden at her new place this year and she wants a veggie and herb garden. After doing a little research of whom likes whom, I think I may have it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

From left to right here is how I planned her garden:
Tomatoes, basil, carrots, parsley, peppers, dill, cucumbers, oregano and beans.

Again, I welcome any changes or input! Thank you!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planning My Sister's Veggie And Herb Garden

Sounds like a good plan except I would put the cucumbers on an outside row since the vines would have more room. You can train them into a row, however, by pulling the vines back as needed.

o

Thank you, lupineloon!

So if I rearrange the last four plants so the cukes are on the outside like this:

Oregano, beans, dill and cucumbers

Would this still work? I read oregano is pretty compatable with anything. I didn't read anything about beans not liking dill.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Keep the Dill away from the tomatoes. It can stunt them when it gets bigger. You can also grow your beans near the tomatoes on a trellis. You can make a simple tee-pee structure with bamboo poles and twine. Use 6' poles sunk in the ground one foot. The same goes for your cucumbers. Helps to conserve space. I have also found that it helps reduce some insect damage. The beans fix nitrogen back in the soil when they die back. It replaces what the tomatoes used up. Oregano does well with just about anything.

Here is a link that might be useful: companion planting

o

Thank you, Robbie3!

Funny you should post that link, that's where I got my information when I was planning her garden! I like the tee-pee structure idea. I have seen it used many times so I'll have to consider that.

As for the dill, I'll have to decide where to put it now. There is one more thing my sister wants to grow and that's strawberries. I figured if I can buy some Borage plants I could plant the borage next to the tomatoes, and then the strawberries next to the borage.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

I plant my dill everywhere BUT with Tomatoes. It works especially well with squash and cucumbers. Borage is wonderful! Eat the flowers, they taste like sweet cucumbers. Borage is wonderful for attracting bees! I planted some with my cukes and squash this year. I use it as a border around and between my tomatoes. A beautiful plant with purpose and such unique flowers! It is also extremely easy to grow from seed.

Best of luck! Let us know how it all turns out!

Robbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here