Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetlydark

Pineapple + Watermelon?

Doncellanerdy
14 years ago

I have a pineapple plant growing in a large container. Formerly this container was home to a watermelon vine which I got to produce one melon but thanks to excessive rain, it busted opened. I threw the ruined melon, vine and all, into the container and just let it rot.

I guess the melon was riper than I thought because little melon sprouts have been coming up all around the pineapple lately. I've been pulling them out since I already have a larger container with that same watermelon (it's a larger variety, crimson i think, which I know isn't the best for containers but it's all they had at the store).

I was thinking of just letting one grow along with the pineapple, to see what happens. I did some research and thought maybe it wasn't a good idea since both like lots of nitrogen and will be competing. Then again pineapples get most of their nutrients from their leaves and base roots, so that leaves plenty of room down below.

I have a nitrogen rich fertilizer for my melon plant (and orchids), maybe they will be happy together? Or perhaps this has bad idea written all over it. So what do you think?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations