Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Hot Poker(Kniphofia) companion?

Posted by kittymommy z9LA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 17, 04 at 12:48

I would like to grow something taller behind my poker plants other than cannas or cigar plant. An added bonus would be if the suggested plant attracts butterflies or hummingbirds. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Hot Poker(Kniphofia) companion?

What about a butterfly bush. They come in shades of purple or a white that would compliment the color.

o

• Posted by eden z6/Mo (My Page) on
    Sun, May 2, 04 at 21:31

Hysop gets pretty large and it is purple -probably a good contrast. Hummingbirds love it. Devil's Dart is beautiful but won't get taller than the poker lily. Devil's Dart is a neon puple blue and gets about 3 1/2' tall.

o

have you thought about fennel or bronze fennel? both get tall, yellow flowers and catapillars feed on them.

o

The butterfly bush is a very good idea and so is the fennel be careful though in warm zones both can self sow to nuisance point so clip the flowers before they go to seed....... Eremurus foxtail lily in red or orange or yellow or white? if you want to capitalize on the kniphofia shape or yucca....... Clerodendrum speciosissimum glory bower is a red flowered shorter shrub that would look nice behind it...... I think it attracts butterflies it might be marginally hardy in your zone ....... Some of the salvias would be nice...... Salvia coccinea or mexican bush salvia or sage....... I think all salvias attract butterflies....... Euryops pectinatus is a nice plant that would work well....... Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is also a nice plant you could use yellow or white? or red....... it attracts hummingbirds...... but not butterflies......... something more tropical definitely..... you have alot of choices for you zone!!!!!! ........ :) ......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here