Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac companions/evergreen

Posted by Diane_in_MA z6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 14:22

I started a border garden 4 yrs ago with 4 President Grevy lilac bushes which are now 5-6 ft tall, 4 feet wide, and planted about 8 feet apart. They are growing slowly and I would like to add some winter interest with something evergreen and have the important bonus of privacy from neighbors. It is a SW corner location on the lot. There are woods south of the planting area so there is some shade in afternoon, but it does average moderate sun. I've had no luck anywhere in the yard with mountain laurel, so that's not an option. The soil is heavy and rocky, but I will bring in new soil for the new plants. The lilacs get powdery mildew every year but bloom beautifully in spring. Any suggestions for evergreen companions that are fast growing and hardy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac companions/evergreen

either a red-twigged dogwood or burning bush would give you the winter interest, the burning bush is REALLY fast growing

(though they naturalize a little too freely for some people, under our maple and walnut canopy, anything that LIVES is a blessing)

o
RE: Lilac companions/evergreen

Burning Bush is one of the shrubs we are asked not plant because the birds reseed it to the degree that indigenous plants are endangered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here