Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Conflicting info on nasturtiums and tomatoes

Posted by insomniac23 z8 Oregon (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 05 at 15:34

Hi everyone. I have been reading posts, books, and looking at internet sites - some list nasturtiums as a good companion plant for tomatoes, and some list it as an antagonistic plant. Anyone care to share their growing experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conflicting info on nasturtiums and tomatoes

I've found nasturtiums to be great companion plants for my tomatoes. I would recommend planting them a few feet away, and letting them vine their way among the tomatoes, since nasturtiums have rather large, aggressive root systems (at least in my garden - I pull them up at the end of the season, and get 2-3 feet of roots from each plant). The tomatoes don't need competition. They do look great together. I use the nasturtiums as a "trap crop" for aphids; when they look ratty, I cut back the affected stems and leave the rest to grow on.

I do prefer to grow "bushy" nasturtiums, especially 'Alaska.' They'll travel a few feet, but not climb all over the tomato trellises. I grew 'Moonlight' one year, and it practically took over the garden.

Laurelin

o

I kind of like the climbing ones in the tomato cages. I think they look pretty. My tomato plants don't seem to mind the competition.

o

What do you think about planting Borage, Chamomile, Geraniums or Petunias? I need some advise for my grandmas garden. I was planning on planting tomatos, bell peppers, basil, and some of these flowers to prevent afids, and tomato worm, any help would be great. Please email at noblefishing@gmail.com or call/text at (619) 947-1709

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here