Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micamom_gw

Companions for stella d'oro daylillies

micamom
19 years ago

I have a 2-foot flowerbed in front of my evergreen foundation shrubs (yew, dwarf dwarf hinoki cypress etc.)

My Stella d' oro daylilies are sort of lined up like little soldiers (3 feet between each clump. There were some limey greenish /gold colored hostas planted between them last year (but there are no signs of hosta life yet).

I know the little soldier scheme is a planting no-no and I will repent later in the season. However, in the mean time the soldiers need some friends to fill in the bed this summer.

Do you have any suggestions for annuals or perennials that look sharp with those Velveeta orange blossoms? The bed gets lots of hot sun after 12 noon. The siding on my house is a blue gray/w with trim. IÂm in suburban NJ and deer are no problem.

I am looking forward to your replies! Thanks for your help.

Comments (12)

• psnave
    19 years ago

I'm am working on this same combo...am thinking about using the dark purple osteospurnam (South African Daisy). It has a little velveeta color in its eye to tie it all together. My only concern is whether these will bloom all season; have heard complaints that they fizzle out in strong heat. How about Geranium Rozanne?

• maryliz
    19 years ago

How about 'May Night' Salvia? Blue flowers that the bees just adore. Very drought tolerant, and they don't mind the heat, either.

• Janine Starykowicz
    18 years ago

My hostas are halfway up, have the green/cream ones. Last year I had some sort of purple aster, it was gorgeous but only for about 2 weeks. My short purple was Wonderland Purple allysum, which I haven't seen yet in the stores. Great little filler, very short.

The May Night Salvia sounds good, may try that. I have some double purple hollyhocks I picked up at Walmart (6 bareroots in a bag).

Does anyone know of a true purple and yellow tulip? The ones I've seen on the internet sound more red or pink (Triumph Gavota and Atlantis, Weber's Parrot).

I also have hanging pots of blue Wave petunias and yellow dwarf snapdragons waiting to go out.

• soilinmyeyes
    18 years ago

I have planted this combo in many of my designs and it really looks great. Stella with maiden pink dianthus, blue balloon flower. If you have the room, but it does'nt sound like it is possible, plant 'Black Knight' ButterflyBush nearby, with a deep red/pink Spiked Gayfeather!! This looks great together!! TJ

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

Don't give up on the Hosta yet. They are tough plants and generally late in coming up. I like the foliage and flower of Nepeta 'Walker's low' with Stella's and Dianthus 'zing rose' for a tough, long blooming combo.

• vignewood
    18 years ago

Hi psnave, My African daisies, that looked like you described, bloomed all summer long here in CT.

• dawnsharon2001
    18 years ago

I'm trying a few annuals in cooler shades of yellow and white (yellow snapdragons and yellow agyranthemum to follow "daffodil mix" clear color pansies) but as the Stellas haven't started blooming yet, I don't know how effective the combination will be.

• rokkis_mom
    18 years ago

I have red glads with mine and they look great.

• susan6
    18 years ago

I discovered I like anything with sky blue or light blue flowers. Right now I have campanula poscharskyana next to the stellas. I also like dark purple and have planted the Wave variety in this color next to another clump.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I've grown mine with Homestead Purple verbena. I love the purple/yellow combination and the Verbena can take the heat. Osteospermum is also gorgeous. Maybe you could do both? There's a paler purple Osteospermum that would look nice with the Verbena.

• katheric
    16 years ago

Well, if you are up for the challenge, my dark blue delphiniums look FABULOUS next to the orange Stella d'Oros, but I have no idea if I'll get those babies to bloom again next year (the delphiniums of course). The Homestead Purple verbena sounds like a good idea, and they are tough. Also, Stokesia 'Danube Blue' or 'Purple Parasol' are just starting to bloom now; my 'May Night' Salvias are fading just as these daylilies are beginning to bloom. And lastly, if you don't have a problem with extremely poisonous plants, monkshood will bloom nicely with the second flush of blooms.

• Tracy Brant
    16 years ago

I know it's late in the season, but since you may have the same question next year, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents about annuals. I love perennials, but I use annuals to fill in the holes as things mature and cycle through their bloom season. I grow Terra Cotta Yarrow and Apricot Profusion zinnas near my Stellas, because the colors are in the same family. Blue salvia is a nice contrast. I also have a large English daisy in the neighborhood. Melanmpodium might also look good around the skirts of the stellas - they stay low. The zinnias keep going all summer. And I keep some herbs and coleus in pots to move around and put in front of things that die back or have bad legs. The coleus are an instant color punch and the variety of colors means I can find something to go with everything. I do tend to like hot colors.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz