Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn

Posted by topnotchveggie 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 16:59

I am looking to plant corn, what are some companion veggies and non-companion veggies? And how does one take advantage of this companion gardening? (in other words, how should the planting grid look?) How close to one another can one plant? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn

Cukes do well with corn. Plant the corn far enough spaced apart to hill the bases, otherwise the first big storm will knock the corn flat down. Put them in a bit of a ditch, then put the cukes right in between every or every other corn in the row (not in between the rows--you need that dirt for hilling later).
--Tina

o

Cilantro will keep grasshoppers away from corn. Cukes with their spiny leaves will keep away raccoons because they don't like walking over them with their delicate paws. Both plants worked well for me in the past seasons.

o

Is it okay if the cucumbers climb up the corn? I am hoping to plant Armenian cucumbers which I understand like to climb. Does that sound workable?

o

You could try squash and bush beans. The squash climbs the corn. Racoons don't like dealing with vines and won't get the corn. The beans provide nitrogen to the corn and squash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here