Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pole Beans and??

Posted by enzo 7b Arkansas (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 02 at 18:02

I have two raised beds 4ft wide and 8ft long. On the two long sides of each I have a 6-7 ft high string frame for growing pole beans. The seeds have sprouted and I was thinking that I would like to plant tomatoes down the middle of each bed. Will there be a 'companion' problem? I know one year I planted onions and that was bad news for the beans. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pole Beans and??

Carrots, Corn, Cucumber, Eggplant, Lettuce, Pea, Radish, Savory, Tansy would be good companions for your pole beans.

Nicole

o

Be careful not to plant tansy where livestock or pets can get it - it can be poisonous.

o

corn is wonderful with pole beans... provides a pole. You can add a squash for a "three sisters" approach to gardening.

Kelly

o

• Posted by caitzs Seattle, z7.5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 02 at 21:03

Just about any plant would be fine with the beans, except alliums (onions, garlic, chives, leeks, etc.) Corn is traditional and the best companion, because it provides support.

o

Tomatoes do not like pole beans - also not friendly to dill, fennel and potato.

Pole beans do not go well with basil, beets, cabbage, fennel, kohlrabi, onion family, radish and sunflower.

In my tight space of about 26' x 50' I allow 10 feet or better between adversaries. There is no plant in my plot that is in isolation - all are companioned, even if only with flowers or herbs.

Try a search for 'companion planting' to obtain several charts. I use them every year not trusting to my memory. You can add your experiences to the charts if not already made note of; you can also post it in this forum to advise use and get further confirmation. Not everything is available at one source.

Try the like below to get started in companion planting.

Good gardening, OrganicDan

Here is a link that might be useful: Companion Planting - info & Chart

o

Nasturtiums, corn or squash seem to work best. Adding a couple of peppery nasturtium flowers to your beans when serving adds a litle zip to the dish too.

o

I've planted pole beans about 2 feet away from tomatoes... am I in trouble?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here