Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new plants, new combos?

Posted by marinaz z6 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 18:49

I have a small garden in brooklyn. i just bought several salvia may night plants, sedum neon plants, and cosmos red and sunny delight seeds. do you think these will go well together? whenever I buy plants, i have ahard time getting the heights right.
the sunny bed i plan to pu these in also have a fair bit of reddish/pink yarrow, in the middle (versus the front or back.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new plants, new combos?

Hello Marinaz,

I have the salvia 'May Night.' Once established, it's one tough customer, and can get pretty big (2'x2'). I love the color, although I'm not enamoured of the smell of the leaves. I have it in two locations. In one spot it's planted with a pink 'Betty Prior' rose, blue and yellow 'Edith Wolford' irises, and lavender-blue 'Wonder of Staffa' asters. The dark blue is a good foil for warm or cool colors, I would think. In the other location I have it with a pinkish tall liatris, aster 'Bluebird,' lamb's ears, knautia macedonica, ornamental onions, and a 'Blaze' rose. I often front my perennials with white alyssum or pansies (depending on the amount of shade nearby).

Have fun, and be adventurous. If you like warm colors, maybe some warm-toned daylilies or irises might be a good choice.

Laurelin

o
RE: new plants, new combos?

Thanks Laurelin.
I am going to put in the neon sedum, keep the cosmos elsewhere. I planted white alyssum in front, have some feverfew nearby and a lot of irises and an enormous amount of yarrow around (a mystery as to what kind, as they were given to me late last autumn!)

Marina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here