Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klages_gw

what should be planted to next, first time done a food garden

klages
11 years ago

Hi, my husband and I are planting a garden, my fist time his second but was years ago he had one. Our land is pretty sandy. But we are wanting plant sweet corn, onions; two different varieties; hot peppers, sweet peppers, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, spinach, watermelon, garden beans, three kinds of lettuce, broccoli, and radishes. It would be great if we can find out from someone. Thanks

Comments (2)

• txangoddess
    11 years ago

I have had a lot of success with three sisters gardens, where you grow corn first, then beans around each corn stalk to trellis up the corn, and squash or in your case, melons (either works fine) to grow all around the whole grouping, so as to keep the soil moist and act sort of like a mulch.

To me, radishes are just the best and most useful companion plant going. They are particularly great to spread around any curcurbits (squash/melons) as the pests that attack these plants dislike them ... I just spread them around liberally everywhere.

I know peppers are really bad for beans so you want to keep them apart, and hot peppers will turn sweet ones hot if they are too close, so they ought to be seperated also.

Some ornamental plants you might look at that are good to integrate into veggie gardens too are sunflowers, nasturtiams, and marigolds.

I have to divide what you are planting into completely different seasons here, due to heat and humidity, so I don't know much about the cabbage, leafy veggies, broccoli, onions, or carrots and how they would get along with the bigger heat lovers, since I've never been able to plant them together anyway. Its hard for me to tell what combinations would be good there, but here is a useful link for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

Best Wishes!

• lazey
    11 years ago

Three sisters garden is the best. I usually plant sugar snap peas instead of beans, they are a bush variety that do not need staking and do best when planted when it's still cold so I usually plant them before the corn and it works out well for me. But if you're doing pole beans you'll probably want the corn to get a head start.

You'll want your tomatoes far away from the corn, they attract similar pest. One year I had tomatoes next to my corn and had worms in all my corn. I could cut them out and the rest of the corn was fine... but was unattractive. I had poor luck with tomatoes last year but I did notice carrots and onions doing well around the tomatoes. Check out the book "Carrots love Tomatoes" there's a lot of excellent companion gardening advice. I get it out of my library every year, should probably just buy it for myself so someone else can read it around planting time lol.

A lot of gardeners use lettuce to make borders between plots. Marigolds too.

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz