Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellis67

Variation of Three Sisters

mellis67
13 years ago

I apologize if this is a repeat post but I wrote all of this and think I hit a key that exited.. I have a plan and I want some advice and thoughts. I am planting sweet corn, pole beans, and winter squash. The area I have for this is a 4' x 16' raised bed will tremendous soil. I plan on planting 8 rows of 6 corn plants.... 8" between plants and 24" between rows... 8 rows of 6 plants. After the corn gets 6" high I will plant scarlet runner and kentucky wonder pole beans at the base of the corn stalks. In between each corn row I will plant 2 winter squash. One of these in each corn row will grow up a sturdy trellis and the other will act as the living mulch. This would give me a total of 48 sweet corn plants, 14 winter squash, and a bunch of beans. Am I crazy for thinking I can do this? I figure the corn and beans are growing vertical and not needing much room at the soil level and the squash can weave in and out and up in this case with lots of room to spill over the sides and up the trellis. I appreciate any feedback... I am willing to do the work to make this successful but I don't won't to have a huge dissapointment at harvest time.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES