Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to 'amend' around strawberries when companion planting

Posted by hsmama COzn 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 5, 06 at 10:03

Strawberry Borage, Beans, Lettuce, Onion, Sage, Spinach Cabbage

http://www.gardensablaze.com/CompanionYield.htm listed the following companions for strawberries. Beans, lettuce, onion, spinach. I made a few mistakes in my garden plan this year and am now trying to squeeze my strawberries and tomatoes into the same space. . .that's a no-no. So, now I'm looking at these companions and wondering if I can just interplant my strawberry plants among my beans, lettus, spinach and onions. This will take up 1/2 my garden and be a permanent strawberry patch where I want to continue to plant my beans, lettus spinach and onions. Is this a bad idea? How would I amend my soil with the perennial strawberries. My plan to ammend my soil is to layer dried leaves with corn meal, alfalfa and coffee in the fall and then top with mulch. I don't plan to dig it in or till it. WIll the strawberries grow through or will they smother under all this.

Thanks for your insight.

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to 'amend' around strawberries when companion planting

as long as you're not completely burying the strawberry plants, they should do fine. I always mulch mine in the fall with leaves, but I don't bury them, just surround them with the leaves.

o

strawberry likes to be around bush bean, lettuce, onion, pea, spinach. it dislikes the cabbage family. plant some of the companion veges it likes and you may not need to amend the soil.

o

Ann,
Sounds like a good idea to interplant your strawberry plants with others. Chives and garlic are wonderful companions to strawberries. I also use coffee grounds around my strawberry plants during the growing season since they do like a little more acid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here