Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klimkm

'japanese style' garden plants

klimkm
20 years ago

I have planted some plants in hopes of creating a "japanese style garden". For the purists: this is by no means is this a true japanese garden in any way, shape or form. Just a garden that has many of the plants found in japanese gardens. (I am going for an atmosphere, I don't have the time for all the pruning necessary for a true j. garden.)

Right now I have three japanese maples (two green, one bloodgood), some peonies, some ornamental grasses, some irises, viburnums, and hostas.

Can anyone give me ideas for other plants that would successfully blend into this garden? It is partial shade. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• marquest
    20 years ago

When I see this style of gardening I see ferns and large rocks and water. I am by know means saying this is right.

• sammie070502
    20 years ago

Try Helleborus Orientalis hybrids, pachysandra, and a tapestry of ground covers and mosses.

• Chesapeake
    20 years ago

Hi Klimkm,

Japanese gardens I have seen don't necessarily have to involve a lot of pruning - I think you are referring to bonsai. The gardens which I have seen have three elements - plants, rocks and water. Perhaps you could incorporate a small water feature. I have seen some that are quite lovely and don't involve a large space. They can consist of just a bamboo spigot with water recirculating into a small pool of water. You could then add some plant material, such as mosses on some small rocks. How about adding a Japanese lantern as well. For plant material in my "Japanese" garden I have included some day lilies (some do quite well in partial sun-check your nursery for your zone), some beautiful Japanese Painted Ferns (again I am not sure about these for your zone)and hardy Orchids and hardy Gloxinias. I think you might be able to incorporate some white impatiens in clusters to lighten up your space.

• threedogsmom
    20 years ago

Oriental poppies, oriental lilies, variegated willow (shrub), Japanese Iris, all come to mind. Tree peonies too.

• klimkm
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I would love to get a tree peony, I will have to research their care. I am thinking about anemones for fall coloring. The fountain thing is a good idea too. It maybe even sounds like something I could make myself.

Eventually I want to get more rocks, since they are a trademark of the garden style. but they are way too expensive for my budget now. I never thought about daylilies, definitely a consideration.

In the meantime, I visit Anderson japanese gardens in Rockford, Illinois. I think it is considered one of the most extensive tea style gardens in the United States currently. Definitely worth a visit for those in the Midwest. (They have a website, check it out) I am only 45 minutes away and make the trek at least once a year.

• Chesapeake
    20 years ago

Hi klimkm,

Just thought I would post you once more. I was at the nursery today and purchased two Japanese Toad Lilies. Perhaps you might want to check them out. They are lovely. I bought one that is speckled white and burgandy and another one that looks almost bluish in colour. These are going in my Japanese garden which is in deep shade.

Also since you mentioned tree peonies I thought I would comment. I have three and they are glorious without a doubt. They can get quite large and they are expensive. Make sure you plant them permanently because they do not like to be moved. They do require sun. They also take a couple of years to establish themselves before flowering. They are woody so remember to never cut them back - they are a shrub. Just remove dead wood. Also if you see shoots coming out of the ground at the base of the tree peony CUT IT OUT IMMEDIATELY. It is reverting from the graft back to an herbaceous peony and you will loose your tree peony to the old garden variety so take care. Martha Stewart has a wonderful collection of tree peonies and featured them in her magazine last year. Perhaps you could find this in her archives as it is very accurate and informative. The flowers of the tree peony are huge some measuring six inches across and they are so beautiful. What a thrill the first time they flower. I already have several buds on all of my trees.

Good Luck,

CR

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner