Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeking companions for veggie health

Posted by njitgrad NE NJ (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 15:44

I didn't realize that there was a forum dedicated to Companion Planting, until someone in the Vegetable Gardening forum made it a point to tell me I posted in the wrong forum.

At any rate...I'll just re-iterate my questions below now that I am in the correct forum.

I am planting my own seedlings in raised beds next week as well as in my various-sized Geo Pot containers (which will reside in my fenced-in garden area in the walk paths between my raised beds).

My garden is completely fenced in but until recently I have never given much thought to naturally keeping unwanted insects out of the garden.

I've been reading up on this a lot and watching tutorials. I've come to the conclusion that I should plant marigolds and/or nasturtiums in both my raised beds and my GeoPots. Being in Zone 6, does this sound about right?

What would be a good distribution of these flowers, one to two flowers per Geo Pot depending on size (20 gallon, 10 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon)? One flower every linear foot of raised bed? At the corners of the beds?

Do I only need to plant around specify veggies? Here is my list: tomatoes, cukes, eggplant, sweet peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, lettuce, dill, basil, parsley.

I've seen a video where basil is planted in between tomato plants once the tomatoes have grown a bit. The basil won't grow as it normally would if planted correctly, however it is supposed to act as an insect deterrent.

My garden space is limited, so the bare minimum of companion plants would be sufficient, so long as they are beneficial to the health of my veggies.

Below is a link to a video I recently made of my garden (on an unrelated topic). It should give you an idea of my layout (minus the Geo Pots which are temporarily located elsewhere). I welcome any suggestions as to what to plant and where to plant it. I bought some marigolds yesterday but didn't plant them yet.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Raised Bed Layout

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here