Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes & Basil

Posted by Daisyjoy5 7 _ NW GA (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 16:10

Hello all,

I have read quite a bit that tomatoes and basil grow well together, and indeed I had fairly good results with this pair last year. But what I can't seem to find is the appropriate spacing between plants.

If my tomatoes are planted about 3' apart, would it be acceptable to plant basil in the two spaces in between and just ahead of that row? As in, split the difference between the tomatoes with basil? I hope that makes sense...

I'm just not sure how close they would need to be to A) be effective in improving flavor and B) not crowd the tomatoes.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes & Basil

Here's an old thread on this topic:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0708524124552.html?16

Basically, basil growing near tomatoes has no effect on the tomato taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here