Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something to compliment dahlias

Posted by gardener_at_the_gate 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 16:14

I have a long narrow bed that runs the length of my front porch -- 3' deep by 25' long -- planted with ten dahlias of varying heights and colors. They are "staked" with decorative ivory-colored poles and iron structures. The front boundary of the bed is outlined with a row of natural stones, and the bed is mulched.

Earlier this spring, I dug out three barberry bushes because they were hard to weed around, and also they made the bed look cluttered, but now the mulched base of the bed looks bare. Does anyone have any suggestions for a perennial that is low-growing and non-invasive that would "fill in" at the feet of the dahlias? The bed faces east and gets about 5 hours of morning and mid-day sun. I'm new at this, and I got plunged into gardening the hard way when I bought a house 3 years ago with a small lawn that has 20 flower beds in it! I experimented with a lot of things the first two years, but now my goal is to get things as low maintenance as absolutely possible! (Low maintenance is good. NO Maintenance is better!) Any suggestions you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something to compliment dahlias

I think something like candytuff might work in your area. They fill in nicely and if you trim lightly after they bloom in the spring they will look pretty good all year. They are low growing and will fill in nicely around the feet. I prefer the older larger variety.

Catmint or Nepeta 'walker low' would also be an option. Easy to control and they fill in nicely. Not evergreen though.

There are lots of plants but those are a couple ideas. Just about anything looks pretty with dahlias :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here