Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

Does anyone use companion planting?

novice_2009
14 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum actually uses companion planting methods in the garden. There seems to be a lot of questions from people, and no answers. Many lists found on net are contradictions, or just myths. Has anyone used this method in vegetable garden with success?

What did you plant and how? What's the most reliable combos you've used and still use?

Comments (2)

• flowersnhens
    14 years ago

Hi Novice, Yes, I know what you mean. I posted a question several days ago figuring I would get an answer before now. Oh well. I used companion planting last year for the first time and my garden was beautiful !!. I planted Basil around a group of tomatoes to keep the hornworms away, and in a seperate garden I did not. The hornworms went for the tomatoe plants without the basil planted around them,,,not sure if it was a coincidence or what,,but this year I will try borage and basil around all of them. I have heard that Borage is a good one for repelling the little pests, so I will try it this year and see how it works. Those hornworms can strip an entire plant down to nothing overnight. Uuugh !!

• screaminvern
    14 years ago

Hey novice, I,ve been companion planting for 11 years now and I won't garden any other way. I've found through experimenting that mint,sweet basil, onion or garlic, thyme and oregano are excelent companions for tomatoes. Mint is hard to control but I won't grow tomatoes without it because it gives the tomatoe great flavor! If your going to plant borage, leave about 3 ft. of space between other plants as the borage can get quite big. I have the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes", I highly recomend this book for it's vast info on companion planting. I think it's great that other people are interrested in this almost forgotten method of gardening.

Sponsored