Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purple1701

Dill companion planting?

purple1701
10 years ago

First, an overview: My garden is a 4âÂÂx24â strip, running east and west, with a fence on the north face. I have 3 a-frames, each made from 2 pallets. The first one will have beans on one side, then tomatoes and peppers on the other. The middle one will have tomatoes and peppers on each side. The 3rd one will have tomatoes only on one side, and peas on the other. The 2nd and 3rd a-frames have lettuce planters made from rain gutters under them. The first a-frame has kohlrabi (in the ground) under it . The 3rd one has iceberg lettuce, kohlrabi and beets (in the ground) under it. The first 2 also have 3 potato plants each, but this is more experimental, I donâÂÂt expect them to do superbly well. I have a separate potato patch at the end of the first one, next to the beans at the west end. I already have marigolds, daisies, lavender, and some basil planted sporadically, as well as a perimeter of onions around the whole thing.

My companion questions are as follows: I have a ton of culinary herb seeds IâÂÂd like to try planting (dill, coriander, mustard and caraway). IâÂÂve read that dill in particular is good for root veggies, and so might be good by the kohlrabi and/or beets, but that it also attracts hornworms which would then find my tomatoes growing just over them.

Can someone weigh in on the potential validity of this and whether it may be an issue or not?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks