Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dill companion planting?

Posted by purple1701 5B Chicago (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 17:57

First, an overview: My garden is a 4’x24’ strip, running east and west, with a fence on the north face. I have 3 a-frames, each made from 2 pallets. The first one will have beans on one side, then tomatoes and peppers on the other. The middle one will have tomatoes and peppers on each side. The 3rd one will have tomatoes only on one side, and peas on the other. The 2nd and 3rd a-frames have lettuce planters made from rain gutters under them. The first a-frame has kohlrabi (in the ground) under it . The 3rd one has iceberg lettuce, kohlrabi and beets (in the ground) under it. The first 2 also have 3 potato plants each, but this is more experimental, I don’t expect them to do superbly well. I have a separate potato patch at the end of the first one, next to the beans at the west end. I already have marigolds, daisies, lavender, and some basil planted sporadically, as well as a perimeter of onions around the whole thing.

My companion questions are as follows: I have a ton of culinary herb seeds I’d like to try planting (dill, coriander, mustard and caraway). I’ve read that dill in particular is good for root veggies, and so might be good by the kohlrabi and/or beets, but that it also attracts hornworms which would then find my tomatoes growing just over them.

Can someone weigh in on the potential validity of this and whether it may be an issue or not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dill companion planting?

Here is a picture of the lettuce planters for reference.

o

Hi Purple,
My book says, Dill is good companion to cabbage and grows well where beets have been harvested. Does not do well with carrots. Honey bees like dill blossoms.
My book is "Carrots Love Tomatoes"
Good Luck
gmom

o

But do they attract tomato hornworms? Would that be a potential issue considering the tomatoes will be growing over top of them?

o

How did your planting work out? i had dill relatively close to my tomato plants this past summer. did have 2 tom horn worms, which i watched as they were pretty interesting. they didn't do too much damage, then one day they were covered with parasitic wasp eggs. a few days later they were dead - ah the cycle of life!!

o

None of my dill survived, I'm not sure what happened to it
But I had no problems with worms or pests of any kind, the only thing I had an issue with was some sort of rot towards the end of the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here