Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cucumbers and basil

Posted by fernsk z2 Canada (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 17:57

Do cucumber and basil not like one another? I'm planning on putting tomatos, cucumbers, peppers and basil in the same area and somewhere/someone suggested that basil can inhibit the growth of cucumber. Is this correct? Thanks for the insight... Also is it not a good idea to combine tomato and cucumbers? Somewhere else I read that cucs like lots of moisture and tomatoes could get blossom end rot from too much moisture. HELP please - I have to quit reading stuff... it makes me ask too many questions

Fern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cucumbers and basil

Hi Fern, all my companion-planting books are rather ambiguous about cukes & basil being together - sorry! However, I can tell you that I've planted cukes with a whiskey barrel full of sweet basil less than 2' away and the cukes ("Diva") produced like gangbusters all season and were completely trouble-free.

Cucumbers & tomatoes can live happily together, but if you plant too closely harvesting can be a real pita.

o

Thanks - I will be putting a regular cucumber "sweet slicer" in a 3ft raised bed with a early girl bush tomato, 2 garden salsa peppers, a basil plant, some miniature heads of lettuce and a marigold. I guess if I plant the basil as far from the cucumber - which I'm planning to train up a trellis they should be okay - right?

Fern

o

I think that'd be fine, and your tomato will love you for the basil!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here