Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherda

Shallow-rooted border

HeatherDA
19 years ago

I posted this in another forum, but I think it's actually more of a companion question...

I've had to move the bed for my veggie garden (tomato, carrot, chive, garlic, cilantro, pumpkin, nasturtium) due to a robin's nest built too close to my old one with a very protective mother...

Now the bed is right up beside the patio (cement) and I've found that about 4" down is just a bunch of huge rocks (I'm assuming this was the layer they put down before pouring the patio). Anyway, if I move the bed out, it'll be in the middle of the lawn and a pain to mow around and I don't think I'm going to be able to dig up all of the rocks...

Is there a REALLY SHALLOW-rooted border plant I could use to fill the first 1' of ground next to the patio? Maybe something flowering that would also serve some purpose (like deterring pests)?

I figure, if all else fails, I could plant my chives there, but I'd prefer for them to be intermingled among my other veggies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Heather

Comments (2)

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

Sweet Woodruff is a thick carpet like groundcover that has shallow roots and can grow about anywhere. It does great in shade, but seems to do fine in sun if it has a bit of water. It has pretty foliage and a small white flower in spring. It's invasive, but easy to pull up where you don't want it, so it might work. If you wanted it to stay just on the rim of your bed, you'd probably have to put edging strips between it and your bed. It depends how comfortable you are with creeping plants! Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: sweet woodruff

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

A Sedum or Dianthus should work.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH