Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberry companion plants

Posted by Junglej zone 7 Oregon (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 05 at 21:45

I would like to identify some low-growing perennials which can be appropriately grown with blueberries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blueberry companion plants

I'm thinking of growing some herbs under and beside the blueberry bushes I get. But what would grow well in the same type of soil?

o

I realize this is an old post, but Sage and Thyme both like acid soil and could be planted with Blueberries. Kathy

o

I've got some savory that's growing in a blueberry bed and going like gangbusters. Also had some short snapdragons "volunteer" in one of the beds. All seem to be doing well so I'll leave them alone. The day lilies I actually planted at the bb bed borders add a lot of color. They are far enough away from the bb bushes that they shouldn't compete.

o

O.K., In case anyone is interested... I just put in a 2' by 6' raised bed with two blueberry bushes at either end and three Sage plants, two Thyme plants and two Strawberry plants scattered throughout. I think I may add some Nastursium seeds too, since there is plenty of room until the Blueberry bushes get bigger. I used Lots of peat moss along with sand and manure/humus compost. From what I've read, the herbs and Strawberries can handle the acid soil. Hopefully the Strawberries will take off and send out runners. I'll take a pic when things fill out a bit!

o

Hi, I grew blueberry and strawberries together and had a bad year for both - maybe it's just my poor technique though, or the cold year we had - I like having the strawberries there - anyone else try this?
Thanks!

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 1:31

Blueberries are adapted to cool, moist acid soil and sage, thyme are from the hot and dry conditions of the Mediterranean region and likely to prefer a higher pH and calcium content than blueberries can grow in.

Any low perennial growing well in the same soil conditions should have potential for be planted with blueberries. Like other heath family plants blueberries have fine, delicate sod-like roots quite unsuited for digging among, so companion plants should be installed outside the reach of their roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here