Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion plants for rose glow barberry

Posted by lainey_6b_va z 6b VA (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 22:46

What shrubs or plants would look good with rose glow barberry. Our house is a sand brick color with stone trim in shades of dull gold, rust, and sand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion plants for rose glow barberry

Karley Rose (Pennisetum orientale) ornamental grass! I have the barberry against the foundation and the karley rose layered in front of that in my front yard. I just put them in recently and I already get compliments from people walking in front of my house all the time.

The structure and of the barberry is complimented by the grass blowing in the wind and the colors work together beautifully.

Can you tell this is my favorite companion find?

o

That sounds lovely Diana. I hope I can find some.

o

Consider Caryopteris such as 'Longwood Blue.' The blue flowers look great with Barberry. There are other varieties also. It blooms around August.

o

I am very pleased with the contrast this shrub provides in my border which includes irises of salmon-pink, (just finished), bronze red, white, darkest purple and a lighter blue/purple; a white rose 'gourmet popcorn', tradescantia 'sweet kate' (chartreuse with purple flowers), weigela rubidor to one side and wine & roses to the other. There are actually other roses nearby, 2 shades of red, pink, and salmon-pink, as well as nepeta, baptisia, russian sage, Montauk daisy, various oriental, asian and daylilies, phlox (David and Franz Schubert), mullein ... aw, heck, it just goes with everything! Looked great with the spring bulbs, too.

o

Try some agapanthus!

o

Lots of interesting combinations. Thanks a lot.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 1:51

Anything that goes with purple or pink, the main colors of the barberry.

o

Cistus / Rock rose? Has a blue-green kind of sage like foliage to it, and the large pink blooms aren't too fancy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here