Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far apart should my tomato plants be from corn?

Posted by kurango 10a (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 23:37

In the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes" it says (under tomato) "Don't plant tomatoes near corn because the tomato fruitworn is identical with the corn earworm."

My question is . . .

1. How far apart should they be? A few feet? Several yards? Not in the same yard? Next county over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far apart should my tomato plants be from corn?

Never heard of this issue. I have grown corn several times in NC and I always grow tomato's. They are always next to each other without problems. Well, not that problem. Plenty of japanese beetles on the silks, some horned worms on tomatos.

o

I just read that tomatoes and corn should be at least 20 feet apart. I'm moving the tomatoes I planted a week ago into another bed. The last time I planted corn it was in the same bed as some tomatoes. The corn was awful and the tomatoes there were not nearly as good as the other tomatoes I planted in other beds that year. There could be other reasons for this, but jic, I'm moving the plants before they get any bigger. I don't want to create any needless obstacles to my garden!

o

2 years ago I planted my tomatoes way to close to the corn, like less than 4 feet apart. Just about every ear of corn had an ear worm in it. Last year I had my tomatoes on the opposite side of the garden and my corn was fine. Maybe it was the tomatoes being to close that attracted the corn ear worms or maybe it was just a bad year for them.

My tomatoes did really bad where I planted them though so I'll either have to make my garden bigger or plant the tomatoes a little closer to the corn this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here