Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
variegated red twig dogwood & w&r weigela need a companion

Posted by csmerk nj (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 8:29

We are creating a bed in between two young shade trees (approx 12 ft high) to add a splash of interest against the plain 6ft high white vinyl fence. We had arborvitae Elegantissima there that didn't survive the winter winds. With that in mind, we've chosen variegated red twig dogwoods and wine and roses weigela so far but are now stuck on a broadleaf evergreen to mix in. The bed is only going to be 7.5 feet deep by about 30 or 32 feet long so we can't have an evergreen that will take over the bed. We had decided on the Green Mountain boxwood but can't afford the 3 feet specimens and have since discovered that if we plant the small 2 gallon ones it may take up to 10 years before the even reach 3 feet. We feel it won't be a good idea to take that route since the dogwoods will take off and the weigela will also grow at a faster rate. Also, we love hollies, but our current hollies (nellie stevens and inkberries) are just recovering from the winter winds as well so we really do need something very hardy back there. Any ideas? Are we being ridiculous about thinking there has to be an evergreen in the mix?

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: variegated red twig dogwood & w&r weigela need a companion

My first thoughts were rhododendrons or Camellias. Other thoughts for winter interest would be curly willow for it's stems. Maybe Nandina for berries?

-bonnie

o

I think Taunton yew (Taxus x media 'Tauntonii')looks very nice with red-twigged dogwoods. Keep in mind, to get the best winter color of your dogwoods, you're going to be removing the older stems, keeping the ultimate size smaller than if left to grow "naturally" so you can place the yews in front of or behind the dogwoods, whatever works best for you. I would berm the soil a little, if possible, kind of stages the planting and provides good drainage for evergreens.

o

Tough broadleaf evergreen PJM rhody
they turn puplish for winter color
green again in the spring, lavender flowers, very early spring

o

I have a red twig dogwood and old fashion canary weigela. May I suggest that you put them as far apart from each other as possible. With the dogwood, maybe groundcover would be the best bet. My dogwood is over 7 ft and I have to prune every three weeks or less if we have a good rain. The weigela will be the slower grower but I have had to remove a two shrubs and now a groundcover because I failed to realize how wide this thing will get. The reality hit me when I went over to friend. He has a weigela in the middle of his yard. The thing is huge about 6 ft tall and 5 ft wide. A wine and rose should get about 5 ft wide and the same in height. Please keep this in mind when choosing companion plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here