Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you suggest under a flaming red Japanese Maple?

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 10:08

I can't figure what what plants would be great companions under a very red maple.

Please give me some suggestions, especially on perennials.

Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you suggest under a flaming red Japanese Maple?

Black mondo grass possibly?

o

Depends upon your personal taste.
I would not go for the black mondo as it is too dark/ brooding under a redleaved tree.

Prefer something brighter,
A greygreen would be subtle contrast, with an Geranium renardii (what is the soil like, by the way.),

Some golden green cheerful contrast, with some medium, solid goldengreen Hosta (August moon),

How important is an winter aspect, do Hellebores grow in Z5 .

Chuck in some details, perhaps something usefull for you might pop up,

Bye, Lin

o

I have Emerald and Gold euonymus under a red Japanese maple, and it looks very nice. Good contrast.

o

Forget color...what can grow in that much shade and with that much root competition?

I'd go with ferns and spring bulbs. Japanese painted ferns, red beauty ferns, grape hyacinth, trillium?

o

Hakone grass is a nice companion. I have a golden one (three plants) that grows well under dappled shade. It cascades beautifully if among some rocks. In my zone 5 it has stayed in control with a bit of spread. Actually wish it would take off a bit more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here