Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to use traps or companions?

Posted by Sawdust Atlanta Zone7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 03 at 13:41

Last year I had white flies on tomatoes, bad. This year the flies are back as expected, but seem to favor my snap peas as of now.
I was going to pull the peas, but wonder if I should leave them as a trap? And should I be treating the peas to eleminate as many flies as possible, or will they move to toms as soon as I treat peas? Too hot for peas soon, would another trap help?

Any experience shared would be appreciated.

Sawdust

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to use traps or companions?

Traps are great if you have room for the extra planting and do not mind sacrifices. Companion planting often offers a distraction or repelling characteristic such as an odor or chemical production. Particular pest control emphasis is placed chiefly on herbs and flowers. I have a large number of French marigolds, nasturtiums and petunias interplanted.

Check some of the many companion charts. I offer a link below that shows which plants directly affect pests. Be sure to cross-reference with other charts to determine compatability with the other plants you share space with.

It does work. Combine the companion planting with good soil management to ensure strong, healthy plants.

Good gardening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pest focused Companions

o

I have heard of using peas as a catch crop for rabbits, why not bugs!

o

If you want to trap the whiteflies with peas, but are concerned about what will happen when the peas go, just plant thyme and nasturtiums arouns the tomatoes....they repel whiteflies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here