Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
distance for incompatable veggies?

Posted by trisha_51 z4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 05 at 14:18

How far apart should incompatable plants be from one another? Opposite sides of the garden? Six feet? I have rasied beds that are 3 ft apart, end to end because of the narrow space we have to put a garden in. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: distance for incompatable veggies?

I've been doing a lot of research on this and haven't found a good reason why not to plant veggies together.
Unless you are saving seed for next year, of course. That's not something I do. If you are saving seed, the recommended distance is 20 feet. An example would be keeping tomato species true to form like Heirlooms.
Most of the reasons why not to plant close together seem to be wives tales. Now some plants are more suceptible to certain diseases or bugs and that's why the wives tales started. If the two or so suceptible plants got sick or infested the other would also. There's so many more helps for those kinds of problems now, I'm not worried about it.
The people on the Vegetable forum helped me out and there is a post there if you'd like to look.
It all depends on if you will be saving seeds is how I took it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here