Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieheart

long border with orange day lilies

pieheart
16 years ago

I have a very long (over 100 feet) border, about 3-4 feet wide. The back of the border is the back of my property. The previous owners planted orange day lilies all along the border back, leaving the rest as mulch. I'm not sure what variety of lilies, before I could pick them last year (our first summer in the house) they were eaten. Gotta love those deer!

Anyway, I found a spray that seems to be working, so maybe this year I can identify the lilies.

I transplanted some perennials in front of the lilies, but for the most part they aren't thriving because they need full sun and they are only getting part. Next year I will move them to another bed we are developing now.

Here's what's not doing well (foliage only, no blooms): yarrow, delphinium, baby's breath, lupine, statice, phlox paniculata, agastache.

I suppose it could be that they aren't ready to flower?

What's doing well: carnations, walker low nepeta.

I was thinking of propogating the walker low and putting it all along the middle of the border. I only have four clumps now. But that still leaves quite a bit of exposed mulch.

I like the cottage, cluttered look. What would look good with the orange lilies (as well as the foliage), the walker low, that likes part sun? I don't mind a mish mash of different perennials. I have some English daisies that like it there, but most everything else is just kind of hanging on with great foliage, no sign of bloom. Not even the yarrow.

Any other suggestions to go with the walker low and orange day lilies? Or am I jumping the gun and not giving the plants a chance? We only transplanted them this spring, so maybe they need more time to adapt to their new home?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH