Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengodess_gw

The Black Walnut List

greengodess
20 years ago

Anybody know where to find the list of plants, etc. that are compatible with the Black Walnut and the list of plants & trees that are susceptible to poisoning by them? I swore I had it around here somewhere and I can't find it for the life of me.

Signed

Woman who has too much garden crap....or in this instance not enough

Comments (7)

• Hawkeye_Belle
    20 years ago

Do a search for juglone toxin or black walnut tolerant plants or any other combination you can think of. I must have about 20 lists that I have printed off the web lying around my house-somewhere. I still do the search and print another one.

• greengodess
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Why didn't I think of that? :P DOH!

• shadeeladee
    20 years ago

There are lots of lists out there on the web. Here is one, I was thinking Ohio University Extension service had a very extensive one also. I not only have 4 black walnuts in my yard, but am surrounded by them in my neighbors' yards. None of us have much trouble growing anything. I did notice that my neighbor next door was struggling to grow tomatoes, but then, growing tomatoes in the shade isn't too likely anyway. I am growing many things successflly that are on the "no-no" list, some right under the largest walnut tree. It's only been 4 or 5 years for these plants so maybe the juglone will still kill them one day, but I tend to find that this problem is somewhat overstated and keeps people from experimenting with what will work in their own yards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut toxicity Fact Sheet

• Hawkeye_Belle
    20 years ago

Greengoddess, I am experimenting with roses beneath black walnuts. Under the companion forum called "Plants for Difficult Places" at the top of this forum page, I have posted my first report. If you are intereste in roses, you might find this of interest.

Good luck!

• greengodess
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Actually, I was having a mini debate on another forum about whether or not Catalpa (sp?) trees are susceptable to walnut poisoning or not. So I went to check my lists and couldn't find them. I've been checking around, but can't find Catalpa on any of the lists. You guys got any ideas about this?

Signed
    Perplexed Woman

• greengodess
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Oooops! Shadeeladee....I found it on your list as being tolerant of Walnut, which makes me wrong about it's cause of death, which I SWORE was Walnut poisoning. The poster described juglone wilt to a tee, but the list you have says it's tolerant. Now I'm really perplexed, here. *scratching my head*

• Hawkeye_Belle
    20 years ago

Greengodess, don't rely solely on the lists for tolerance. On one list I found the Norway Spruce listed as both tolerant and sensitive! I have several spruce trees I don't know what kind, but the ones closest to the walnut trees are severly stressed, alive but stressed.
    The only real way to know is to try. Be brave! Check the lists for sure, but always be alert to problems.
    Good luck!

Sponsored