Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf alberta spruce, purple leaf plums, smoketree...what else?

Posted by husker92 Zone 6, PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 07 at 23:39

I have begun planting a slight slope in my backyard. Along the back row are three Dwarf Alberta Spruce (spaced about 10ft apart). I also have two purple leaf plums and one smoketree yet to plant (am planning on making the smoketree the centerpiece). I would like to plant 2-4 other bushes or perennials...but I'm not sure what. I'm considering something that gets to maybe 3-5 feet tall and wide (but that's negotiable). I would prefer something with green leaves since the others all have darker leaves...but I need to find something that "works well." I would also like something that flowers...maybe late spring or early summer. I should mention that I will make the slope look somewhat rocky...not sure if I'll do random rocks or build a couple of terraces (again, it's not terribly steep, but a terrace or two would work).

Any ideas what might be suitable? Or even if it doesn't fit my preferences, I'm open to new thoughts. I still plan to have room to tuck in a few smaller annuals and perennials...but I might wait until next year to fill in the gaps. I was looking at a Weigela today, but not sure if that would work or not.

Let me know...I'm willing and ready! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf alberta spruce, purple leaf plums, smoketree...what els

I'm not sure I would put the purple of purple leaf plums with a purple smoke.

o
RE: dwarf alberta spruce, purple leaf plums, smoketree...what els

Interestingly, my purple smoke tree leaves or more of a dark red or burgundy and very similar in color to the purple leaf plums.

I should note that the smoketree is maybe 3 feet tall right now. Will the color of the leaves remain constant with age?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here