Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion planting guide for free

Posted by johnmac09 St Ives, England (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 1:50

Trying to be organic, I've been trawling the web sites for info on companion planting. Some good ones, though often they don't explain why some plants are beneficial. In addition I like to have guides like this pinned up in my shed to refer to.

So I've done myself a guide... if you're interested you can download a copy. The link is under Welcome! on the top right hand of my web site below. When the link opens click the item above 'Add a description' to download.

Hope it helps... & if you think there's anything missing please let me know!

Thanks, John

Here is a link that might be useful: An English Allotment Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion planting guide for free

Thank you for sharing! :)

o

This looks great, John, thanks!

o

John,

The area of 'why' is a wonderful addition but still ventures into the folklore perception. Most of the on-line charts show the why. There are a few sites that offer plants in answer to a problem. The latter sources are likely how you generated your chart and the effort is appreciated.

The companion plant relationships are one area of personal study. My goal is finding actual facts offering the biological, chemical and/or ecological contribution. Some of the obvious are know symbiotics.

I have posted a few links in Organic and Vegetable topics that have been looked at. It is very hard to locate specific relationship studies and suppose that there are few actual such studies.

One item of note is the marigold action against nematodes. In report I have view they credit the exudates but after residue is incorporated and decomposing. The effect is generally of advantage in the following year of the incorporation. Food for thought and example of the information I hope to provide in such a chart.

Good effort. Thanks.

o

Organicdan - it is good to see someone looking for real evidence in this area. So much of what people state is unbacked by research and seems largely anecdotal or hearsay. In fact much of it is downright silly. For example recommending as 'good for each other' plants which have completely different habits and requirements e.g. garlic and rhubarb. My rhubarb is an 18 year old clump over five feet across in damp shade. I don't think garlic would be too happy alongside. I am keen to learn which combinations actually work but there is so much nonsense talked that scepticism is my default position much of the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here