Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plants to support Asiatic lilies

Posted by shadeeladee z5 KS (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 03 at 9:54

I have a small 5x4 raised bed in which I have a masses of Casablanca and pale pink Asiatic lilies to the sides and back of a dwarf Disco bell hybiscus. The lilies are absolutely beautiful but tend to flop forward. This is a new bed and I have nothing in front of the lillies and Disco Belle yet. What can I plant that is about 12 to 15 " high that is strong enough to give some support for the lilies but will still look and compatible and not be so tall that it covers the lower flowers of the Hibiscus.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plants to support Asiatic lilies

I have dayliles in the front and rose bush behind the orientals. The daylilies hide the leaves of the orientals and roses hold them up. Just make sure your colors compliment. I prop the lilies up aginst the Roses. I do have them close in front of the roses. So it looks like they are one plant.

o

A late-blooming dwarf daylily border does sound nice. I usually just edge the lily bed with short annuals such as ageratum, 'dusty miller' or even vinca. Last year, my neighbor used gomphrena and carrots - the carrots made a lovely ferny edging. I used to use individual props for each lily but this year I tried out a raised gride. It looks like wire fencing laid horizontal and is propped up with wire legs. Looked weird when I first put it in, but it has worked very well.

o

Maybe as your lilies mature, they will become stronger, as they will have a thicker stalk. You did say this was a new bed. I have noticed this in mine anyway, and this was their 2nd year, and the new babies, were the ones that leaned.
Leslie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here