Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tttaniaaa

PRETTIEST flower/vegetable combinations you've tried?

taniaa
20 years ago

Hi all,

The plot for our first ever vegie garden is getting close to being ready - how exciting!!

Being a devoted "flower" lover, my aim is really to have a pretty flower garden with some veggies growing in between (& of course, for fun, a scarecrow in the middle!) - there is plenty of room.

For now, visual appeal is way more important than the amount of vegies we actually grow.

Last year I had a large hanging basket of sweetpeas and chives - grew really well, and looked fantastic. I've also tried the borage/strawberry combination in a container - that also looked lovely. I've been told that pansies and onions will do well, so I'll try that one next year.

What are some of the prettiest veg/flower combinations you have successfully tried - preferably something that doesn't include marigolds and naustriums - I already plan to use them.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Tania

Comments (6)

• pixelpushr
    20 years ago

Tomatillos can be grown as vines or with stakes to look more tree like. They have pretty bright yellow flowers.
    Spinach makes a great ground cover and marigolds will help repel bugs, so the two together would make a pretty and useful combination.
    Dark purple eggplants have lovely purple leaves that can look nice and help break up all of the green in a veggie garden.

• sunshinedydrm
    20 years ago

Hi! How about purple basil by something yellow like marigolds or sunflowers?

• agnes128
    20 years ago

I'm sorry, but the combination : MARYGOLD, tomato and red runner beans in a container is giving me really great results !
    {{gwi:589101}}

Here is a link that might be useful: To my balcony ...

• bushpoet
    20 years ago

This year, I really enjoyed these combos:

Purple & yellow:
    The yellow blossoms of trellised french melons surrounded by light purple spikes of anise hyssop, bright orange calendula, and two-faced johnny jump-ups. The bumble bees *adored* the anise hyssop.

Green & white:
    The delicate green & white striped fruit & foliage of "Fish" hot peppers underplanted with a carpet of spreading white sweet alyssum.

Hope these inspire you. Also, be sure to check how tall your marigold will get. I interplant the 6" dwarf ones & use the 3' monster as background & edging. My favorites are the 12" ones - perfect sized companions.

Michelle (bushpoet)

• bushpoet
    20 years ago

This year, I really enjoyed these combos:

Purple & yellow:
    The yellow blossoms of trellised french melons surrounded by light purple spikes of anise hyssop, bright orange calendula, and two-faced johnny jump-ups. The bumble bees *adored* the anise hyssop.

Green & white:
    The delicate green & white striped fruit & foliage of "Fish" hot peppers underplanted with a carpet of spreading white sweet alyssum.

Hope these inspire you. Also, be sure to check how tall your marigold will get. I interplant the 6" dwarf ones & use the 3' monster as background & edging. My favorites are the 12" ones - perfect sized companions.

Michelle (bushpoet)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

I keep my rose of sharons really short, and underplant them with basil

the 'thai dragon' peppers and the chartreuse coleuses balance one another out nicely

and I have a nice round pineapple sage surrounded by darkest purple petunias.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County