Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
raspberries and california poppies

Posted by cairogal Washingoton state (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 13:31

I had a great stand of red raspberries. This year, California poppies seeded themselves there as the new shoots began and I thought they looked like a fine understory. But all the raspberries died. They grew to 2 feet and withered. Perhaps there is another reason, but they had grown well for three years and the only change was this prettiness. I think california poppies may be very bad companions to raspberries.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: raspberries and california poppies

Mad thought here - did you change your mulching and watering regime at all? The poppies do well in much drier conditions than those preferred by raspberries, so you might have been getting an indication of habitat change - as well as a possible antipathy between species.

o
RE: raspberries and california poppies

Perhaps while planting the poppies you also added more mulch which smothered the base of the raspberries. I've read that especially in our climate they can't be too deep.

There are some diseases raspberries can get, so perhaps something was spread to them.

Other ideas needed more water this summer or the raspberries crowded themselves out.

Mine spread like crazy out of the row, so there are always replacements.

You might find some more at the exchange site below. The Green Elephant swap was last Saturday & I shared dozens of them & saw others, so it was a good year for raspberry runners. I dug mine in spring & pulled a few out in fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here