Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fell in love with this color combination:

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 21:29

What are some of your favorite or new favorite color combinations? I'm perusing the garden and (making my plants nervous) thinking about digging up this and that here and there to rearrange some things (by color) .... I'm loving (from seeing it happen "by accident" a few times in the garden) the way the following colors look together:
pale yellow and magenta
blue and magenta
salmon and pale yellow
salmon and blue
I'm thinking of making a spot with just these colors. I think they compliment each other so nicely and its so eyepopping. (now just have to have the discipline to to include any other colors in their bed!).... What do you think? Just a suggestion if you're considering planting any of those colors.... they look great together. What are your favorites? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fell in love with this color combination:

Funny, I have a salmon dianthus 'Helen' with a soft yellow happy return daylily and some soft "blue" campanula (looks more lavender to me). I was just thinking what a nice combination it was. I am also fond of my centranthus ruber with the golden yellow Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise' and the Soft blue nepeta and 'Snow Cap' daisy.

o

Ooooh katybird I'd never heard of dianthus helen before.... so I googled it.... lovely salmon.... where did you get yours? Will you be collecting seeds/have enough plant to trade? I'd love to trade seeds/plants if you do.... :)

o

It's only been the past two years that I realized I have very favorable conditions for dianthus. I really enjoy trying new ones and many are so easy from seed, but I've also found Bluestone carries a nice variety. Check out 'Doris' too. I had a tough time deciding whether to go with 'Helen' or 'Doris.'

o

I agree that salmon/peachy colors look great near lavender/blue things. Some burgundy thrown in is also nice. Here are some combos in my garden:

Buff Beauty Rose, 'Argentine Sky' Salvia Guaranitica and Orange Candy Lilies

Abe Darby Rose, Black and Blue Salvia Guaranitica, Catherine Woodbury daylily and tall lavender-blue scabiosa (from seed).

Pygmy Barberry shrub, Moonlight Masquarade daylily, May Night salvia and Butterfly Blue Scabiosa.

Mixed mass of Salvia guaranitica and Blue Mist Flower with Pink Damask (really peach) daylilies and (annual) red fountain grass.

If you can grow it, the cobalt blue of Salvia Guaranitica looks great with anything and serves as a "weaver" throughout the garden. An added plus is hummingbirds go crazy over it.

o

I like yellow with almost any shade of purple as long as the yellow is not too mustard.

Bright apricot with strong purple and deep violets looks so gorgeous to me.

Chartreuse with orange is very bright but fun.

o

I like mixing bold, bright colors in my hillside garden. Things are still in bloom here in Northern California. The past few weeks I've had Mexican sage, Stella D'Oro day lilies, and a beautiful display of several varieties of red roses. Boy do they POP!

o

I like the look of the original Knockout rose with blue salvia. I also like burgundy Japanese Maple next to Firemound Spirea (burg and yellow-gold leaves). Stunning in spring when the burgundy color is showing the most on the spirea !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here