Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tminn

purple heuchera and what???

tminn
21 years ago

I would like your ideas of what to put behind purple heuchera that would get taller than about 18-24 inches. I have 3 flowering quince bushes, then some space, then the heuchera.

Comments (12)

• flowerluvr
    21 years ago

Persicaria 'Red Dragon' is really nice with them. Unfortunately, mine didn't come back this year, but is supposed to be hardy in our zone.

• psychomom
    21 years ago

I had some green/white variegated euonymus behind mine and I liked it very much. Too bad the euonymus got scale and had to be destroyed. Maybe something else that's variegated? I wonder how it would look in front of yellow/green foliage.

• debgrow
    21 years ago

Have you considered a sedum of some sort - autumn joy might look nice.

• wolfe15136
    21 years ago

Well, I have feather reed grass "overdam" behind mine, and some sedum Matrona, which has lovely purple tint to both the foliage and the flower.

• Gumper
    21 years ago

One of my favourite combos is a good blue hosta (Big Daddy, Blue Angel, etc.) with purple heucheras and a japanese painted fern. The heucheras also look beautiful with 'Queen of Night' tulips, 'Thalia' daffodils and grape hyacinths in the spring.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    21 years ago

Impatiens balsamina, also called Touch Me Nots, and Balsam. I pick this one because, the chartreuse foliage looks good in contrast against the purple, and the flowers companion well with the balsams range in the pink family.

See an earlier discussion on balsam for an idea of what they can look like (Although, mine have lighter color foliage than Dicentra's).

Let me know if you want any seeds, I have plenty.

-Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: Dicentra's Balsam Picture

• Clare
    21 years ago

You know, purple heucheras can look great with so many things. Not just their color, but their round(ish) leaves and the pattern the leaves set are distinctive. Mine are fronted by a tiny-leaved creeping pennyroyal with an August cloud of lavender flowers. They are backed by a variegated mariesii Hydrangea. Also snuggled up in front of the heucheras are some first year (meaning non-blooming) Rudbeckia with low growing, large, green leaves. I'll pull those Rudbeckia out by late spring next year, but for now it is an engaging combination.

• schmidga7
    21 years ago

how about goosenecks.?i think the latin name is lysmachia..they will look great in front of the quince..they spread around quite a bit but i love them

• Monique z6a CT
    21 years ago

Here's one of my Heuchera's with Artemesia 'Powis Castle' and Centranthus alba next to it. A pink Peony 'Raspberry Sundae' is to the right above the silver Artemesia. The purple globes of Allium 'Globemaster' is in the background along with chartreuse foliage of Caryopteris 'Worcester Gold'.

• nora_54
    20 years ago

Hi Monique,
    Is that heuchera happen to be 'Amythist Mist'? Your combo is beautiful! The silver really makes it pop, and I read somewhere that 'Amythist Mist' looks especially nice near something with lighter pink flowers. In addition to what has already been mentioned, I think most heucheras also look good with chartruese or chartruese/green hostas.

• loniesmom
    20 years ago

DO NOT PLANT GOOSENECK LOOSESTRIFE!! THIS PLANT IS CONSIDERED A NOXIOUS WEED AND WILL TAKE OVER!

Having said that. . . . I love the foliage of any bearded iris behind and creeping jenny (lysimachia 'goldi') down in front. I've got a "collector's garden" but for all my determination to go onesie-twosies on all my plants my Plum Pudding heucheras are my favorite and I've got them all over!

• margay
    20 years ago

Also looks nice with Lady's Mantle. Size and leaves are similar but when it rains or you water the difference really is pretty. I also have scabiosa with these.

Sponsored