Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet potato vine

Posted by
m. west - 8
(modnc@citcom.net) on
Thu, Jul 27, 00 at 22:19

I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift. They didn't come with care instructions and I haven't a clue. I'd also like to know if they'll survive through the winters in the mountains of North Carolina. Thanks for the help. modnc@citcom.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet potato vine

First frost will kill sweet potato vines. If planted now you may get a decent crop by 1st frost. I always harvest mine in early Oct before frost hits them. Plant them about 12-18" apart rows and give then plenty of room to spread out cause they vine like melons. The first week they will look puny as the roots get accustomed to the soil. Make sure they don't dry out during this planting period until well established. Happy harvest, vgkg

o
RE: Crop vs. decorative container?

I thought your post was intended for suggestions on what looks good with a decorative planting of sweet potato vine, but since you didnt say what color this one was, I guess you are growing them for food. The whole point of my post is: I am growing a chartreuse colored sw. pot. vine with a blue Scaevola, and it is magnificent! It is vivid and colorful, and can really take the heat, sun and drought of living in a window box. Try it, you'll like it.

o

We gave my daughter a black, a lime green and a verigated pink white and green. She put them all in one pot and the look great with just the three plants coming down the sides. Downtown the black and lime green are popular with red zonal geranims and the tall grassy stuff. Do the color plants make an eatable toober?

o

Today I started cleaning some stacked cardboard boxes I thought were empty from the back of the side yard and lo and behold! the bottom box had the left over sweet potatoes I thought my husband had thrown away months ago. The potatoes have all grown long stems with small leaves and are ready to be planted. I know it is long past the time to plant them, but thanks to an oversight, I may have sweet-potato vines after all this year.

o

• Posted by
    Barbara - 7 Central VA
    (bbrhsys@aol.com) on
    Wed, Aug 2, 00 at 18:58

Robin, I tried blue scaevola too...in a barrel with tricolor sweet potato vine, a tall spikey dracena type plant and some silver brocade dusty miller. Smashing and easy to care for. One of the first times I have planted a combination and had it turn out better than I hoped for. It's got height, is cascading nicely and it looked very "mature" in a little bit of time. It bothers me to wait half the summer for plantings to look lush and full.

o

Does anyone have any ('Blackie') to spare??I lost mine last winter...

Evelyn

o

Please help, I'm new to gardening! I bought three sweet potato plants for ground cover in early spring and they are absolutely beautiful with large purple leaves. I would like to know how to overwinter? them. Are they hardy enough to survive the cold or should I transplant them and grow them indoors for the winter. The more info you provide me the better. Thank you in advance!

o

Just bought some marguertie sweet potato vines to add to my perenniel garden, however, I have never grown them before! Will they come back next year or will they die at first frost?

o

Hi Ladies,

I live in New York and would like to know how to overwinter
my sweet potato tubers. I just dug them up and was surprised to see the tubers. Can they be stored in a
cellar and planted in early spring outdoors or can I start
them indoors in February or what? I have chartreuse and
black. Thanks for any advice.

Marge

o

I like to put low, spreading Lantana in front and then frame the sides and background with tall Canna lilies. It gives lots of contrast in both texture and color.

o

Thanks to a generous trader, I now have one 'Blackie' sweet potato vine. I have it potted up for the winter and growing in a sunny window. Last year I lost mine in the first frost, and BOY! was I FROSTED! (heh, heh)

I am saving it to go in my 'Dark Side' garden, to combine with Geranium phaeum 'Sambobour'sp?, 'Chocolate Ruffles' Heuchera, Tiarella 'Mint Chocolate', Chocolate Cosmos, which is STILL in bloom! and others...it DOES sound like a "Chocolate" garden, doesn't it? The purple oxalis is also nearby looking "smashing", if I do say so....

o

For all you that have asked, Sweet Pot. Vines DIE if exposed to frost. Dig them up before frost hits. Store dry and loose, just as you would your potatoes from the grocery, until Spring, in something breatheable, like a box. Keep at about 55 degrees. Replant in Spring.

o

I saw a tub planting at a local nursery this fall that really got me interested in these. It was a combo of marguerite (lime green sweet potato) with a very hot pink dianthus (probably Ideal Violet) and purple angelonia. The angelonia is a tender perennial from Mexico with tall spikes of small orchid like flowers. It was still blooming into November in New York. It was stunning and beats all hell out of those nauseating crysanthemums everywhere.

I'd add some strong colored gomphrena like strawberry fields if I couldn't find a really hot pink dianthus.

I have a feeling that I'm going to be fascinated by this combo for some time.

o

I was wondering......
I am a novice gardener, and I would like to start a sweet potato vine. This would eventually end up in a clay pot and used as decoration. Could someone enlighten me as to how I would start one from scratch? i.e. can I use a sweet potato from the grocery, and wait for it to develop roots?, what kind of medium would a use to start the roots? etc.
I told you I was a novice. Any replies would be much appreciated.

o

Connie,

I think most of the sweet potatoes at the supermarkets have growth inhibitor sprayed/dusted on them. If you happen to see one at a farmer's market or organic produce market - grab it. I doubt it will have the brilliant colors of the ones purchased at a nursery, but what the heck! Give it a try and let us know what you get.

o

So, where are you guys getting these lime green
and black sweet potato vines? I want some.

o

Connie,

Don't give up on growing supermarket sweet potatoes! I had five of them stored in a box in a spare bedroom and forgot about them until a couple of days ago. They all had sprouted, some even had a few leaves. So I put them in a dish of water and set them on the back porch (no sun, but bright). Already the "sprouts" have turned into an 8" plant, bushy, with full-size 1" leaves that are dark green. I've never seen anything grow this fast in my life!

But now I'm wondering... should I plant them in soil in a pot? And when?

All comments welcome!

o

the leaves on the grocery store var. are very atractive with a shape not unlike blackie, but dark green.
as far as combos ,i have the jot of working @ a nursery and have gotten to use it in a few potted deseigns. her are afew of my favorite combos:
margerita and or blackie w/ bengal tiger canna
blackie w/ yellow lantana when planted in a bed the
lantana grows up through its too cool
tri color w/ coleus
i've noticed it does better in the ground or in lager pots. i did a great pot w/ margerita(lime) diplodenia and mexican bluebell on the edge of the pot tri-color lantana and a large sunray brugmansia. the sweet potato has spilled to the ground and is forming a mat.

as far as over-wintering i too dried the tubers, i did it w/ blackie each tuber produced a plant to my delight!!! they did take a while to come out of dormancy.

they root in water in a couple of days, and will grow potted in water. just dont let the foliage sit in the
water it will rot. the grow at an awesome pace mid-summer in louisville ky 1 ft a day wow

o

I saw the Marguerite variety combined with a dark green hosta and a bright, bright impatiens. Nice!
Ethel

o

The sweet potatoe vines we planted this year were held over from last year, they were great. We dried them out then put them in brown paper sacks with peat moss and stored them in a cool place, have dug them again and blackie has multiples the green one did not.

o

I buy my tubers from the organic fruit and veg market - great choice in variety too.

o

If you have a small plant that didn't have time to make a tuber, just cut it and stick it in water and it will grow roots. Already have 2 Blackie vines growing inside this way.

o

Sweeeeet Potato Vines
Posted by gabagoo z5/6 NY (My Page) on Sun, Jul 28, 02 at 23:19

I have been growing SPV for the past four years. I started with Marguarite, the familiar bright green variety. After that I added Blackie and the green/pink varigated ones.
I love the bright green. Its light color brightens any spot & creates a great contrast with the dark green foliage of the other plants.
This year, I found another variety -sort of a bronze color. Like an old penny. The underside of the leaves are a dark burgandy - the same color as the veins on the leaves topside.
Here are some shots of my SPVs
Marguarite & Blackie
Bronze
Here are 2 shots of the broze - top & bottom
Varigated -this is my least favorite of the SPV. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's the weird colors. I've always found it hard to find something to plant with it.
Here's one of my pots with SPV, Million Bells, Osteopernum & tall grass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Sweeeeet Potato Vines
Posted by: PVick z6 NY (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 1:07

Nancy -
That bronze sweet potato vine is quite nice. I've always liked the marguerite and blackie together when I've seen them in pictures, but this is my first year being able to actually GET any - chose the blackie. I like 'em all, but I can just see the variegated one in a pot with some yellow and lilac petunias! LOL!

Saw your newest album - definite thumbs up!

PV

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Posted by: gabagoo z5/6 NY (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 8:13

Thanks, PV-
The problem with the varigated SPV isn't finding a flower that will go with it. It's the foliage of the flower that usually clashes. The green on that particular SPV is a strange shade. It looks greener in the photo -it's more of a grey-ish green and kind of washed out. I ended up planting it with my santolina, which is also grey. So it was livable. LOL! When the santolina was blooming (little yellow flowers) it looked very nice.
Green is one of those funny colors that have a very wide range of shades. Some don't really go together at all.
Think in terms of clothing. Olive or Khaki green & Kelly green?? OUCH!. LOL!
Purple is another color like that.
If you want to get a purple blouse to go with a skirt with purple in it, you'd better be wearing the skirt when you go shopping.

Nancy

Posted by: henryr10 z6 OH (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 10:04

The only trouble we've had w/ "Blackie"/"Marguerite" combo is that they seem to have two different light requirements. Blackie loves full sun and lots of it. We've also found "Marguerite" to be a bug magnet. They can really get munched in a hurry.

Posted by: TrueMoonRiverGlow z5NH (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 11:39

G,White flowers go with anything.They will also break up a clash.S.p.v 's are the best.I especially love Blackie.Beautiful Pics!

Posted by: DanieleB z9 SoCal (s23) (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 11:40

What about blue fescue? I don't grow it myself because of allergies, but it might look good together. :) Not enough sun for those vines here, but they are gorgeous!

Posted by: theturtlelady z6/NYC (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 11:43

I can see it with dusty miller - it would make the SPV look greener and the purple would jump right out at you.
Those million bells - what's the name of the color on the right in the picture? I love the mixed ones, and I don't remember seeing anything that looked like that when I bought mine - it's really pretty. Is the one on the left terra cotta?

Also - my sister just discovered SPV and is trying to grow it as a house plant. Is that possible or is she in for a disappointment?

Another also - a gardenwebber who lives in my area told me he dug up his SPV in the fall last year and found a great big potato had grown!

Posted by: kktayy Z6 PA (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 13:07

gabagoo:
How do you winterize your SPV's. I bought three small ones's this year and planted them with roses, verbena and million bells. The whole setup looks great. I read we can winterize SPV's. Could you please tell me how you save yours.

Thank you

Posted by: gabagoo z5/6 NY (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 13:23

Turtle-
Dusty Miller - yes. I had already planted my DMs by the time I got around to the SPV. That's why I ended up sticking it in with the santolina. Same color.
Yuppers, those are the terra cotta MBs. I love the colors on them. Sometimes they're yellow, sometimes orange, sometimes a rainbow that changes during the day.

Tell your sister to report back to us. I never tried it & have no clue. LOL!

In the garden section of my local paper a few years ago, there was an article about the potatoes that are formed by the vine. It said they didn't taste bad. It went on to say that if you were growing them from plants purchased in the garden center, not to expect the type of sweet potato you'd find in a market. The 1st year I grew SPV, I dug them up in the fall to save for the next spring. There were LOTS of them! The following spring, I planted them again. I waited... and waited... and waited... nothing. I dug a couple up to see if there was ANY signs of life. NOTHING. In fact, most of them were decomposing. They were now compost. LOL!
After that, I didn't bother. It was easier just to either root cuttings or buy new.

Nancy
(can go from ambitious to lazy in 4.2 seconds.)

Posted by: victrola Z5 Montreal QC (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 13:37

Nancy et al., don't lose hope about overwintering. Take cuttings and grow them as a houseplant. Or dig up the potatoes, hack back most of the growth, and grow them as houseplants--that's how I overwintered mine. Then in spring I hacked back the languid indoor growth (my apt isn't as sunny as I might wish it were) and I repotted the potatoes outside. Mind you, it takes a while for them to get going again, so if you want that "instant garden" effect, you might prefer to buy new ones. (I went for "instant garden" but if I ever get around to adding up the receipts and figure out how much I spent this year, I might persuade myself to go a more economical route next year...)
I've read on one of these posts that some of the coloured ones tend to revert to green, and I think I also read that this was due to cold temperatures???

Posted by: Janice_in_Ottawa z4b/5a ONT (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 22:12

Those Marguarite vines are just beautiful. I would like to do something viney with my two balcony ends next year, and will be researching suitable plants soon. I think MG's are in order, and perhaps these sweet potatoes.

One balcony divider will get entirely shade (on the bright side of shady), and the other will get bright indirect light followed by 4 hours of direct afternoon light. My question is: if I do MGs and SPVs, which end would be best for which?

Posted by: NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b Alexandria, VA (My Page) on Mon, Jul 29, 02 at 22:52

Hi Janice!
On the sunny end I would do Morning Glories and Moonflowers. If you are wanting them to form a screen such as I have, I would sugguest you use something like brand new miracle grow, or other rich soil, and use 12" pots about 3-5 plants per pot. Thats how I got the results I did on the lattice work in between the picture window and the sliding glass door. Heres what it looked like as of 7/27/02 In just 2 days the growth is now even MORE dense than in the photos, and very noticably so.

ITs pretty much the same for the END trellis, but there are 5 MG plants and one Scarlett Runner Bean ( which really did not do too much other than bloom and vine some, and is not by far the most insignifigant plant of them all) in a 25" long by 12" deep rectangular container. The MF that are going up the end trellis are in a sepearate 12" pot, in which there are 3 plants. Here is a photo of the trellis on the SE end also taken 7/27/02 It too has also grown much more dense over the past couple days, and is branching out and going crazy now!

See that are corner on the the lattice in that photo? That was just 2 short days ago, and now its TOTALLY COVERED. The vines that came up thru that part are now just about hitting the ceiling too. Amazing!

For your shady end im not sure. You might wish to try something called Thunbergia grandiflora (Common Names: Bengal clock vine, clock vine, sky flower) Its light requirements are sun to shade, and from what I have read on floridata about this nice vine is that it perfers afternoon or shifting shade.

Heres a couple of pics of it.

From what I have read about the Marguerite, they tend to prefer sun to partial shade as well, but they dont really TWINE or climb as much as they cascade or trail.

I thin the Blackie SPV also grows in smilar conditions as the Marguerite, but likes more sun. I think the Blackie also is more of a cascader or trailer than it is a climber.
Other than those I really dont know of any vines that like total shade.

Also, here is a link to floridata's page on clock vine. Hope this helps ya out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thunbergia grandiflora (clock vine)

Posted by: msgaz 9 Az (My Page) on Tue, Jul 30, 02 at 10:44

Your vines are beautiful, did you buy plants or grow them from seed?

Posted by: NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b Alexandria, VA (My Page) on Tue, Jul 30, 02 at 11:29

Whose? Mine? If so.. thanks!!! If you are asking about mine, The TOP 2 photos are of my vines. The bottom 2 are of the clock vine, and I got those photos off of floridata.com.
All of the vines (moonflower and morning glory) on the Trellis on the end of the balcony I grew from seed. ALL of my morning glories I grew from seed. The Moonflower that is on the lattice work beetween the sliding glass door and the picture winow I bought already about a foot long at Wal-Mart in Va Beach around may 5th.

They are all doing wonderfully and doing just what I wanted them to do wich is grow grow grow, and take over just about everything up here, and they are all flowering too!

Posted by: Janice_in_Ottawa z4b/5a ONT (My Page) on Tue, Jul 30, 02 at 15:46

Wonderful Nova, this thread is going in my GardenWeb folder for winter reference. Those dark days of January and February, when all in Zone 5 and higher are going inexorably insane, will be filled with viney and drapey thoughts of clock vine and sweet potatoes. :-)

Looking at what you've done to the end of your balcony, essentially creating your own side "wall" with the trellises, I am tempted to trellis-in part of the front of my balcony to create a little shady nook for reading during the heat of the day. I could imagine columns of strings from the railing up to the ceiling, holding MG vines. To prevent invading the upstairs balconies (I think this stuff could climb the whole building from there!) I wonder whether the growing tips of the vines could just be kept trimmed? What do people do in this case? Would the plant suffer from a continual haircut?

Finally, has anyone given you any grief about the tiki torch? There's a strict moratorium on burning fuels on our balconies, so all my little sources of light so far are candles in little lanterns. By next year, I'll be the lantern queen of the neighbourhood, as I'll pick up more. My mother gave me some nice citronella tealights to use, very nicely smelly.

Posted by: msgaz 9 Az (My Page) on Tue, Jul 30, 02 at 16:10

Where do get your seeds from? Our local nurseries don't
carry a good variety of vines. (I'm in a rual area)
I would love to try some SPV's.

Posted by: NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b Alexandria, VA (My Page) on Tue, Jul 30, 02 at 16:56

Hey Janice, can you post a link to your photos again? Id like to take a look at them to see exactly what kind of balcony situation you have going on. Once I look, I will be better able to forulate some kind of plan that you can impliment for next summer. I dont know how fast or how much growth you will get being so far north, but I guess its worth a shot.
Once I take a look and study what kinda of balcony you have, and what types of rails, etc... Ill be able to think up something im sure.

I have seen a few places where folks have used string or twing and attached it from the front rail to hooks in the ceiling, but I did not really care for the way it looked. It was basically kind of just rows of green leaves with too much space in between. I prefer something thats more like a wall like I have, and by using a trellis like the one I have it gives it lots of things to grab onto instead of just twining up a string in a row. The main purpose was to close off that end of the balcony as it overlooks the interstate that runs right by us. There is also alot of light that comes from that direction at night which I wanted to block out too, and what I have done has been about 95% effective at doing that too. I Would have liked to have done somehting similar with another trellis on the other end, but I am not real sure that that end gets enough sun for anything. I might end up trying soemthing like Clock Vine like I talked about earlier, Or mabye a woody vine like Virginia Creeper, as that can handle lower amounts of sun too.

As for the Teekee torches, no one has ever said anything. I dont really use them too often anymore as I have ALOT of candle lanterns like you. I did use them the other evening after dark, and one of the branches of the MG's actaully GREW into the light and got burned on the tip. I watched it over a period of a couple of hours, and it actaully knew there was a bright lightsource there, and grew towards it!!! Anyway... I have a total of 8 candle lanters of differnt kinds, and one citronella fule lantern. (the black one hanging in front of the lattice work)

As for haircuts for the MG vines, I can tell you that if you clip off the growing tip, it will just branch and form a new growing tip out of one of the branches that form in the leaf nodes. Its just that simple. I can also tell you that when they get to the point where they are producing buds they tend to branch out more anyway, and clipping off the growing tip seems to just encourage this and even speed it up slightly. So I dont think its harmful at all to the plant, it just makes it branch out more and thus makes it more full.

It is essentially the same with Moonflowers too. However I am am alot more careful with those because I dont like breaking the ends off because the vines are much thicker and grow faster it seems. BUT, if it does break or get clipped, it too will branch. In fact, I think I have only broken the tip of one vine and that one branched just fine, but they dont even need to be clipped to branch. Mine are just branching off and forming new VERY LONG vines on its OWN, without clipping, while still maintianing the growth of the parent vine.

Anyway... dont forget that link! Thanks.

Posted by: Janice_in_Ottawa z4b/5a ONT (My Page) on Tue, Jul 30, 02 at 18:20

Ha ha, heat-seeking missile MGs! Cute. OK, I can see what you mean about rows of strings. I definitely would want some kind of sun shelter, so a trellis sounds about right. It would be easy enough to attach to my rail.

Speaking of my rail and other balcony details, here are some pics I just took. Hope it gives you a sense of things. I'm not willing to hang off the rail to get your Tarzan-like shots, so hope these will do!

This pic below shows my brick outside wall topped with a metal cap and rail.

This pic below shows the bright-shaded end wall at the north end of the balcony. Well, the top half of it, anyway. The wall goes right to the floor, and this is what the top looks like. Handy supports at the top for fastening a trellis, yes?

And this pic shows the south end wall, along with a glimpse of the building wall. Hey, look at those bits of wood waiting to be built into plant shelves!

The balcony is 30 feet long, on the 6th floor, and faces NNW. The sun shows up around 2:45pm and gradually weakens until sunset. I suppose in the longest dog days of summer, I would get 4 hours of direct sun, very hot. Then it gets a bit weaker. I find that things are growing pretty well, despite my limited sun hours. Lots of chillies sprouting on those pepper plants, and my bell peppers are coming in nicely. But just wait until next year! I need to create a whole-balcony look, not just a cluster of plants on a table at one end. It was a start, but I'm ready to go bananas for next summer. Hey, bananas... zone 4/5... nahhh....

Posted by: henryr10 z6 OH (My Page) on Tue, Jul 30, 02 at 20:08

NoVaPlantGuy,
Everytime I see this balcony I am more impressed. It is all coming together now and quite well indeed.
We grow variagated Va. Creeper and I think you'll be quite pleased w/ it. May I also suggest Variagated Porcelain Berry. Grape-like foliage and small M&M sized berries in every pastel color imaginable.
Also yesterday at Lowes we picked up some Citronella Candlesticks. About 14" tall, small wick, bronze/brass make-up, hold about 3 oz. of fuel. Would look nice on any outdoor table. 2 for 10 bucks. Pictures can be made available if anyone's interested. Ric

Posted by: NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b Alexandria, VA (My Page) on Wed, Jul 31, 02 at 0:10

Henryr10: Thanks for the compliments. Id LOVE it if you posted some photos of the plants and candle things you mentioned!
Janice: A few questions. First, was your cam zoomed all the way out to get the widest possible shots? Just wondering. In the top photo, are we looking down your front railing towards the wall thats in the second photo? If I were standing on your balcony facing the front rail, would the wall in the second photo be to my left or to my right?
In the second photo , does that wall get any sun? If so how much? Does the sun set in that general direction? OR does it set so its kind of shining directly into your balcony head on from the front? In other words, if I was standing on your balcony facing the front rail, would the sun set in front of me? If NOT then would it be to the left or right, and how far?

In the third photo, is the part of the end wall I see the same as the one on the other end? Does that brick wall get much sun? Does the sun creep UPWARDS on that brick wall until it sets and if so how far up does it go? Also, Is there a brick area between your door do your balcony and the window thats in the picture?

There are reasons Im asking so many questions. Its mainly to help me envision what you have going on in terms of structure out there, and sunlight.

I think this is going to be FUN FUN FUN!!! Im kind of excited to actaually help someone do fun, neat, interesting, and functional things with thier balcony! I guess the next step would be to actually do this in real life!! LOL. Anyway, This should be alot of fun for me.

But alas, youll have to do all the footwork and labor. Id love to do it, and would if you were closer. Oh well. If you enjoy this like I do, it will be fun for you. It really is a labor of love for me, and I really enjoyed all the work I did, even though some of it was a bit of a challenge.

Anyway, Ill keep checking in here for now. Once it gets going though, I suspect well have to start emialing so as not to REALLY clutter up this thread! LOL.

Posted by: Janice_in_Ottawa z4b/5a ONT (My Page) on Wed, Jul 31, 02 at 6:32

Victrola has started us a new vines/balcony thread... we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. Anyone for sweet potato vines? :-)

Posted by: gabagoo z5/6 NY (My Page) on Wed, Jul 31, 02 at 8:12

LOL!

Posted by: reddy z6MI (My Page) on Sat, Aug 17, 02 at 8:45

Check the tubers for sprouts, put the eyes or sprouts up.
After storing the SPV for the winter, put the tuber into potting soil, cover w/ about 1/4" of soil and water lightly. Put in a warm, light place. Can't really tell you on time for leaves to come out. It varies from a week or two to a month. Don't put them in full sun right off, bring them out into the shade and harden them off for a few days.

o

This comment was provided to me by rnranimals.

Check the tubers for sprouts, put the eyes or sprouts up.
After storing the SPV for the winter, put the tuber into potting soil, cover w/ about 1/4" of soil and water lightly. Put in a warm, light place. Can't really tell you on time for leaves to come out. It varies from a week or two to a month. Don't put them in full sun right off, bring them out into the shade and harden them off for a few days.

Thanks

o

I've read about your vines from the sweet potato plant, but no one seems to be growing them for vegtables. Can some one tell me if they can be grown in my zone as vegtables and how to do..

o

I would love to have some starters for different varieties of sweet potato vines. I would be willing to pay if anyone has any available. Can these be grown from grocery potatoes? I live in the boonies and there's not a nursery for miles and miles. We are fortunate in that we do have s Super Walmart about 1/2 hour from here, LOL.

o

sweeeet potatoe vines: how can I see your pics??

o

A friend gave me a few cuttings from a lime green sweet potato.........can I root them in water? I know nothing about them. Thanks for any help.

o

I bought a so called sweet potato vine this summer.
It's light green, some violet and a light yellow color. I've got it in a huge pot with mums and some lillies now. Can it be wintered inside?
I live in Shawnee Oklahoma, zone 7a, about 30 miles S.E. from OKC.
I really like this little plant & don't want to lose it. Need some help please!!!
Please email to conrack50@sbcglobal.net, subject vine.
Connie

o

Y'know, I never realized why they called them sweet potato vines- never occurred to me that they were sweet potatos hiding under the dirt...

of course, I never realized until this year that they BLOOM as well, given enough light : )

but I've been taking cuttings from mine every year for the past 5 years, and they do just fine as houseplants during the winter... and to me, that's easier than drying and storing tubers.

o

I still have 2 sweet potatoes left over from Christmas and I was wondering if and how I can turn them into houseplants? They are store bought. Thanks in advance.

o

How does one know when the sweet potato is ready to harvest

o

I have enjoyed all the postings re this remarkable and dazzling plant - but no one has touched on the issue of pests.
I am inundated with "holes" on my spv leaves......need to know of a successful treatment for this problem.....Also - I have been very successful "rooting" spv - directly - into small pots of a good potting soil..keep moist...From now on - I will no longer buy a dozen pots for my window boxes....a few to root will do!

o

Everyone seems to dig the tubers to winter them. Mine are in pots. Is there any reason they can't be wintered in a greenhouse, still in the pot?

o

Hi,

DOes anyone know whether you have to hoe sweet potatoes up? as you do with ordinary potatoes?

please help new gardener

o

HI,
I purchased sweet potato slips from a nursery. Some have grown nicely, others are slow going. Some have been eaten by a rabbit. I was wondering....the place that my husband wanted to plant the vines was in a partially shaded place. Will I not get the response I need because they are partially shaded during the day? Thanks for your input.

o

I saw this planter with the limegreen sweetpotato vine along with dark dark red coleus. it was a very striking mix.

o

I want to start a sweet potato vine,bought some at the store put them in water just like i read but they just rotted on me, no flower shops or stores have the vine, can anyone help me, also i have 2 red potatos that have sprouted is this the same , will it grow a vine?

o

Does anyone happen to know what type of potato to use to start the purple sweet potato vine? Right now I am starting the lime green vine by sticking tootpicks in the sides and sitting them in some water. I have looked everywhere online to see about doing the same for the purple sweet potato vine as well and can find no information on the type of potato you would use to start a purple vine. HELP!

o

i have an issue with my potato i dont know what it means if the dirt is coming lose up around the vine this is my first year to grow sweet potatos so i dont know much about them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here