Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanting to plant more stuff

Posted by freshgardener z6 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 03 at 0:18

I have a small garden in my front yard overflowing with mums, moonbeam creopsis (sp?), four o clocks, autumn joy, vinca, lamb's ears, dwarf cannas and hollyhocks. I want to pull out some of the four o clocks, since they tend to be top heavy and have weak stems and fall over easily. What would look nice planted along with these plants. It looks like a mish-mash, but I hate to get rid of any of them. I also have morning glories and petunias in my yard. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanting to plant more stuff

It looks like your garden doesn't really begin until summer. Why not plant spring bulbs. Tuck them around the late arriving perennials. All sizes, all colors or whatever suits your taste. Be aware that 4'oclocks may re-seed next year. They do in my garden. You also might want to consider backing the garden with an evergreen shrub for structure. Or even a dediduous one.
Happy gardening.

o

Thanks! Yes, spring is pretty dull. I really didn't get excited about gardening until after spring. I'm getting up earlier on weekends and before work now to work in my garden

o

When you pull out a clump of 4'ocs, dig in a round patch of daffodils at 8 in deep, then blue muscari at 4 inches. The muscari will send up shoots almost immediately to mark the spot. If you make at least three round patches of spring bloomers with a double layer of bulbs, you will lose some of the mish-mash look. I just bought some blue and violet
'icicle' pansies to intersperse in a long curved bed of muscari. I usually sprinkle easy to grow calif. poppy seeds among my bulbs when the foliage turns ugly.
I would stick with one color (like yello) in the daffs. and one kind and color with the muscari too. (usually an intense beautiful blue)
Chunks and mounds of one color look good. Broad, sweeping bands of one color look even better.
I like to see many different plants of one color, say all yello or all pink, planted in large swatches. Spark it up with a contrast of white or blue. OOOOH, so delicious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here