Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pearlchow

Amaryllis belladonna or Naked Lady

pearlchow
15 years ago

What do you grow with your Amaryllis belladonna? I wanted to hide/cover the empty space when it's not leafed out or in bloom, plus the dying foliage and bloom stalks.

Any suggestions?

I'm in Sunset zone 15 if that helps.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Can you grow hostas there? That is used here, I think planted in front of them. When they leaf out the hostas are just coming up. Then the hostas come up and hide the dying foliage. Later, the Naked Ladies appear to bloom right out of the hosta foliage.

I keep forgetting to move my bulbs so I can try this myself; has anyone here tried moving them when they're in leaf? I don't want to lose mine, they were a gift. I don't know exactly where they'll come up, as I have squirrel helpers.

Rigt now, mine are planted with Autumn Joy sedum, Blue Fortune agastache and Joe-pye weed. Pretty, but a little messy looking, so I want to try the hostas.

• pearlchow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Prairegirl for your response!
    I love the look of hostas and tried them a couple of years ago. The problem is we live in a very dry summer climate and the hostas needed so much water. I'm trying to stick with plants that don't require quite so much water.
    I do have the Autumn Joy sedum, plus some grasses (pennisetum, calamagrostis). Perhaps I could try that.
    Thanks again!

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The amaryllis doesn't like to be covered over. Try planting shorter plants in front of it, but nothing that will shade or crowd it.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES