Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amaryllis belladonna or Naked Lady

Posted by pchow z9/ CA SF Bay A (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 10:38

What do you grow with your Amaryllis belladonna? I wanted to hide/cover the empty space when it's not leafed out or in bloom, plus the dying foliage and bloom stalks.
Any suggestions?
I'm in Sunset zone 15 if that helps.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amaryllis belladonna or Naked Lady

Can you grow hostas there? That is used here, I think planted in front of them. When they leaf out the hostas are just coming up. Then the hostas come up and hide the dying foliage. Later, the Naked Ladies appear to bloom right out of the hosta foliage.

I keep forgetting to move my bulbs so I can try this myself; has anyone here tried moving them when they're in leaf? I don't want to lose mine, they were a gift. I don't know exactly where they'll come up, as I have squirrel helpers.

Rigt now, mine are planted with Autumn Joy sedum, Blue Fortune agastache and Joe-pye weed. Pretty, but a little messy looking, so I want to try the hostas.

o

• Posted by pchow z9/ CA SF Bay A (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 13, 08 at 14:13

Thanks Prairegirl for your response!
I love the look of hostas and tried them a couple of years ago. The problem is we live in a very dry summer climate and the hostas needed so much water. I'm trying to stick with plants that don't require quite so much water.
I do have the Autumn Joy sedum, plus some grasses (pennisetum, calamagrostis). Perhaps I could try that.
Thanks again!

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 1:45

The amaryllis doesn't like to be covered over. Try planting shorter plants in front of it, but nothing that will shade or crowd it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here