Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spirea

Posted by Lorabelle 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 04 at 11:04

I just got three Spirea bushes at Lowe's for $5 each. Any suggestions on what would make a good companion planting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spirea

Most spireas have pink blossoms- some light and some darker- and lighter green leaves. I think they would be pretty in front of a diable ninebark or any darker colored leaf shrub. They also look good under planted with a pink flowering, blue leafed dianthus

o
Spirea

• Posted by Roma26 Pocono Mts PA. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 12:31

Help: I just bought my first Spirea. I really love them, but need advice in where it's best to plant, sun, shade or a mix of both. Thanks for any info on this plant. Roma26@webtv.net

o

Lorabelle, if they're the summer spirea that bloom pink, I planted mine in front of loropetalum. As the loropetalum grows, I'm limbing it up into small trees so it doesn't overwhelm and smother the spirea.

Nell

o

We have companion planted with a creepig juniper so it has a nice dark foliage backed by the lighter spirea. Our mellow yellow spirea which is a vivid light green color is planted with siberian iris and armeria in pink and lavendar. All look great.

o

I have 2 Goldflame spireas along one side of my patio. (They were supposed to be Goldmound which has an easier color palette.)

There is a narrow flower bed and a stone path on the opposite side connecting to a widening flower bed along the fence. The shrubs can be seen from both sides, by me on the patio side, or when I walk the path, and by my neighbors on the outside.

The gold/orange color in spring followed by pink flowers in early summer, followed by glowing orange in fall and early winter, can be a bit difficult to work with.

I have the patio side underplanted in Princes Irene tulips(orange blend streaked with purple) for early spring bloom.

The back side has orange/salmon oriental poppies which bloom above the shrubs, and look glorious for a week!

I start dark foliage tall cannas in the house in early spring and plant 3 in a row just behind the poppies just as the poppies finish. The cannas fill up the hole left by the poppies (and my neighbors don't have to see the dying foliage.)

I have a dark blue purple viticella clematis on the fence on the other side of the path. The clemmie blooms from early summer, with some rebloom into fall, and doesn't look too bad with the pink summer flowers & green summer foliage of the spirea, which can still be seen from both sides since the cannas are still short.

In summer I also plant pots on the patio in front of the spirea, usually using dwarf green cannas & pots with overwintered small dark green evergreens, flanking some red-foliaged grass or millet, castor bean, etc. - anything big and bold that strikes my fancy. LOL

A Sweet Autumn clematis (with creamy white flowers)takes over in September, when the spirea is turning orangy again.

This kind of changing companion plants can be adapted for various types of spirea. It is definitely helpful to see the spirea go through its various looks, before planting other plants around it.

Two things to keep in mind besides color: spirea have small leaves and a somewhat soft look, bold leaves or architectural plants set them off well; and those bitty $5 shrubs will grow to probably 3-4 ft round specimens very quickly!

o

More info needed! Is this a full sun area? Is it flat or sloped? How much room is there for other plants?

Having said that, I have used Boxwoods, May Night Salvia, Russian Sage, & ornamental grasses & Hyperion Daylily with Spirea. The different bloom times make this an interesting combo to watch as the season progresses.

o

I have a limemound spirea planted with several loropetalum razzleberry. They look beautiful together. I used to have a diablo ninebark behind the spirea, but the deer loved it so much I had to move it somewhere else.

Hecka.

o

I moved into a new house in June. The house has some Limemount Spirea but they look dead now. Does this plant die back in the winter?

o

They lose their leaves in the winter - when it is spring, I cut mine back a little (early spring) and then just wait for it to leaf out and bloom around May - I get blooms off and on all summer - spireas are good incorporated into a cottage garden because it gives the garden some substance plus it flowers all throughout - with just short breaks in between. Carrie

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 0:18

So far all discussion various cultivars of rounded, pinkish summer blooming Spiraea japonica. There are other Spiraea that bloom with spikelike pinkish flowers in summer as well as ones that have rounded heads of white flowers in spring. Some of these are among most popular deciduous shrubs. What looks good with them depends on what kind is being talked about. Lorabelle didn't say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here