Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic benefits???

Posted by Organic_johnny z6b SEPA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 04 at 13:47

Tried posting on the organic forum...didn't even realize this forum was here!

I understand that garlic is supposed to be good for repelling varmints and maybe some insect pests...does anyone have a good list somewhere of what it repels, and how well it does it?

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on og forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic benefits???

Hi,
Read your post on organic forum and remembered seeing a link to a chart here. Garlic is good just about anyplace for repeling aphids. Roses do love garlic!
Hope this helps.
Sherry

o

I took some courses on gardening and ask one of the professors from Texas A&M about companion plants such as garlic with roses marigolds with tomatoes. His reply was they may look pretty but no benefit. I STILL plant garlic by my roses and marigolds with tomatoes....not sure what the marigolds do for tomatoes but mine are putting on more blooms for a fall crop .

o

I really enjoy growing, cooking with and teaching herbs. I have done extensive research on herbs including garlic which states that Garlic Allium sativum makes an excellent companion plant. It is suggested that you plant it near fruit trees (near the trunk), roses and raspberries since it is thought to deter aphids, tree borers and Japanese beetles. It improves the growth and health of other nearby plants, particularly cabbages, eggplants, tomatoes and fruit trees.

o

marigolds are supposed to prevent nematodes. garlic repels just about all critters including deer, cats and some people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here