Return to the Companion Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colour theory: How to make magentas redder?

Posted by RottnK9 8a BC (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 03 at 15:54

After searching the garden stores for the elusive Clematis Texensis Gravetye Beauty, I've given up (this year) and decided to make the most out of my Clematis Mme. Julia Correvon.
Does anyone know a bit about colour theory? How would one make a dark pink/purple clem. (the majority of "red" labelled clematis) more red? I am not asking how to alter the colour of the plant, simply how to make the flower colour appear redder than it actually is. Can anyone recommend another clematis, with similar bloom times, that might bring out the red hues of this plant? Would it be better to try a C. Niobe, what about a white clem., a yellow one?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Caroline

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colour theory: How to make magentas redder?

My understanding of color theory is that opposite colors create the most contrast; Red is opposite Green, Orange is opposite Blue and Yellow is opposite Purple. I would conjecture that since Magenta falls between Red and Purple, something between Yellow and Green would provide good contrast, maybe the chartreus of "Limemound Spirea", a pale green sedum, a yellow-green hosta or "Sunset Gold" coleonema. As for making the magenta appear more red, if you planted something that flowered a deeper bluish-purple, with more blue in it, the flowers on your clematis might look redder because, theoretically, Blue would bring out Orange.

o

Perfect! Exactly the answer I was looking for. Mme. Correvon is planted next to a Euonymous 'Emerald n' Gold' -- I'll just try and find another Clem. matching your bluish-purple recommendation. They are all blooming right now -- shouldn't be too hard to find.

THANK YOU!

o

Your welcome, hope it works for you! Heh heh, I should take a page out of my own book, most everything in my yard is green on green. :-)

o

Caroline, If your intent was to find a clear red clematis, don't fret too much about the Gravetye Beauty. I purchased one from Song Sparrow last year, and it's a great plant (really took off in the spring and is already towering 8 feet tall), but its flowers are somewhat magenta too. At least it's a very blue-based red, about the color of "red" roses. I was a little disappointed about the color; however, the health and vigor of the plant are winning me over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Companion Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here