Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

New to companion planting

saoodhashim
9 years ago

Hi There

First to introduce myself. I live in Saudi Arabia and the best time to garden over here is in winter months - from November to March.

I am new to companion planting and will be doing my first try at companion planting. To be frank, I am actually new to gardening and this would be my second year into any sort of gardening. With no plot of land, I went into roof top container gardening last year same and can say safely that I was successful to a fair degree. This year too I plan to do both container gardening as well as roof top cinder blocks raised bed gardening.

Coming to the topic, as I read, for tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, carrots, radishes and basil serve as good companions. In addition, onions and garlic also serve as good pest repelers. My question is that for companion planting to be fruitful, does the companion plan need to sit in the same soil (or same container) as the main plant or can it sit close by in some other container?

I read that Basil ads to the flavor of tomatoes. So how do I plant it? In the same container or in a different container sitting near by? Similarly how do you plant the other plants i.e. carrots, radishes, garlic and onion.

How does companion planting work? Do the roots of these plants (i.e. carrots, radishes, basil, alliums) play an important role in giving the desired benefits or only the upper/visible portion of the plant is required. I know that peas / beans fix the nitrogen in the soil through their roots. Do these plants also work like beans / peas?

Awaiting replies from experienced gardeners.

Thanks.

Saood

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner