Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunstar07

Companion plants for daylilies and roses

sunstar07
16 years ago

I am planning to have flower and vegetable garden each 5x10 beds in my new home. I bought some daylilies Persian Market, Good Impression, Chorus Line, Leebea orange crush, Northfield and also have few orange daylilies.

What vegetables, perennials, annuals and tropicals can be grown as companion plants with these daylilies and some of the pink, yellow, orange color roses I am planning to buy?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (4)

• tclynx
    16 years ago

When you say companion plants, are you asking for plants that will help protect the daylilies and roses from pests or just for plants that will look nice with them? If you are looking for lists of companion plant info, there happens to be another thread on this forum that has a huge amount of into on it. I didn't notice anything specifically about daylilies but they do mention some plants that can help roses.

For daylilies, I usually like a whole sections of bed devoted just to them though many people plant irises with daylilies (if you eat your daylilys, this is probably not a good idea as the irises are not safe to eat.)

• johnie_j
    16 years ago

I live in North Carolina and inherited many daylilies and irises from my father. I planted the daylilies in the back of my flower bed with Shasta daisies just in front of them and the irises in front of the daisies. I interspersed the irises with Russian Sage and put coreopsis at the very front of the bed. Joggers often stop to tell me how much they enjoy the effect.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I live nepeta and lavender with roses. Deer and pests don't bother those two perennials. The nepeta blooms from spring until frost. Lavender blooms heavily in spring and again in summer. Both have fragrant foliage. You can use the lavender cuttings for your home, too.

Dianthus is nice, but I find deer or bunnies pull it out of the ground when it's outside my fence.

Lavender beside my roses (those aren't in bloom in spring):
    {{gwi:590202}}

Before the daylilies bloom (see foliage?), this is dianthus, heuchera and lavender.

{{gwi:590204}}

Daylilies in bloom, dianthus not in bloom. Scabiosa is the blue flower in the background.

{{gwi:590206}}

Lavender (foreground) and nepeta (background).

{{gwi:588357}}

Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden

• sunstar07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tclynx
    I would like to have some perennials and annuals that looks good with roses and with daylilies.

johnie_j
    What is the color of the daylily and iris
    you have with shasta daisies? Can shasta daisy flowers go well with the orange and pink daylily flowers?

wonbyherwits
    You have a beautiful garden full of colors and life. I like the combination of yellows and reds with purple flowers. I love those lavenders. Probably I should go and look for some in home depot or lowes this week end.

I don't have deer or rabbit problems here. So I can grow anything.

I will go to lowes this week end and look for shasta daiies, purple coneflower, lavender and othr color flowers that can go well with orange and pink color daylilies and roses.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz