Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_410347

companions for yuccas

Laurie - 6/KY
23 years ago

I have two beds of yuccas, nothing else. I want something to plant between and around the yuccas. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• Corollata - 4
    23 years ago

I like to contrast form and texture when looking for a 'partner'; what about a dwarf evergreen like 'mugo slowmound' pine globe, 3'Tx3'W; or a spreading juniper like 'blue star', 2'Tx4'W; and with either, 'autumn joy' sedum, 2'Tx30"-36"W. The combination of evergreen and sedum with the yucca would be lovely. Happy Partnering!

• Claire MA 6b
    23 years ago

If you scroll down the page, or do a search of this forum for yucca, you'll find a previous thread with many suggestions.

Claire

• Joesaltspring IslandBC - 8b-9
    23 years ago

I have one area of my dry garden devoted to different species of Yuccas.I have planted Rosemary and Eucalyptus in the garden.They look quite nice together. Banana Joe

• Suzie - 7/North TX
    23 years ago

I have many different yuccas in my garden - so I would have to say that more yuccas make a great "companion" plant. There are many great ones to chose from, but I don't know what all would be winter hardy for you in zone 6. (Any that aren't winter hardy can be potted up in a planter so they can over winter in a garage. This is also a great way to add some ornamental element and height to the bed, if needed.)
    How about Red Yucca - Hesperaloe parviflora? It's not a true yucca, but grows like one - however, the blades are very soft. It is a great way to attract hummingbirds into your garden.
    I have my yuccas planted up on a berm with Texas sage in the background for evergreen contrast. Interplanted with them are - Autumn sage, Russian sage, purple coneflowers, lantana, flame acanthus, black dalea, Mexican feather grass, etc.
    Since - generally - yuccas need little or no care - I would look to your native plants. Many of those listed above are Texas natives and are easily found in the nursery trade here. What likes it hot and dry in Kentucky?

• Jill Thompson - 7
    23 years ago

In a gardening magazine, they had made a gravel path surronding a brick-bordered circular bed with a yucca plant surrounded by ivy. It was very pretty and they had a picture of it in winter with snow and still beautiful even then.

• Nora z5 IN
    22 years ago

I have a group of three 'Golden Sword' yuccas in a long, narrow bed that borders my driveway. This area is hot, with relatively poor soil, so I used companion plants that will tolerate the same conditions. For height-at one end of the bed for example-an ornamental grass would be great. Also, Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldstrum', black-eyed susan, looks great with my yuccas.

• chancygardener
    20 years ago

I planted Naked Lady bulbs amongst mine. This fall will be the first time they bloom. I'm looking forward to the puzzled glances they will receive. teehee

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County